Does this make sense ?

Had an interesting discussion.

It turns our that when you ask a Cdn lottery ticket buyer what they would do if they won big, a significant number say that they would continue to work - but on a reduced time basis. The reasons cited being mental stimulation, friends, feeling of worth, etc. What do others think ?

If you work 3 days a week, you're effectively voting with your feet - & asserting that the activity (you could work for any employer, not just your current one) has a 60% (3 days in 5) societal value to you, & a 40% (2/5) monetary value. The annualized equivalent is work 7 months/yr (60%) & take 5 months (travel over winter, visit family etc.) off (essentially the 'contract' model of employment). What do others think ?

The design 'retirement' age for most pension plans is roughly 65 (Canada Pension Plan). But the reality is that it is age discriminatory & that you can't actually force retirement - you can only pay more/month if the participant retires later, & less if they retire earlier.

Here is the rub:

If a pension acts like a personal lottery would most people want to continue working either part-time, or on a 'contract' basis, for a couple of years post retirement ?

If the answer is 'yes' - you need substantially less retirement capital as you're earning what you're spending, & when you do 'retire' you'll get paid more/month because you deferred the payout. What do others think ?

The answer has some major implications;

- State social program changes (Employment Insurance, Child Care, Pensions, etc)

- Societal 'norms' change ('age culture' vs 'youth culture', long term health, child care, etc.)

- Employment practice (full-time/part-time/contract mix, attitudes, work force integration)

- Wealth Mgmt restructuring (advice vs transaction bias, product, shorter horizons)

What do people think?

SD

Maslov's hierarchy of needs is related to motivations to work.  Sounds like the janitor mentioned works for self-actualization.  Someone else of same age and in same role, but less savings or other-source income, might be working for shelter.

I advise (not in systematic way) next generation to focus on a pair of adjacent needs - ie food & shelter; shelter & family; family & security; security & self-actualization.  That way the transitions are easy, do not have to make a decision when to shift from goal #1 to goal #2 as it is not all-or-nothing.  But, for instance, if the concern is food & shelter, don't worry excessively about family (education), security (pension) or self-actualization (job that complies with personal priorities such as being green).

An observation of perhaps contemporary relevance, re social safety net, is that fixed-cost health care can foster entrepreneurialism.  When I had to make decision to start my own business, after 20 years working for others, having Canadian public health system made that an easier decision.  If I were to get sick, my business would fail, but would still have essential care necessary for life.  Safety net allows for sensible risk-taking.  Insurance concept.  And we need entrepreneurial thinking nowadays, to restart economy after the parasites get finished stripping out the accumulated wealth.  Ah well, I'm getting political.  Sorry for the rant.