Elon Musk of SpaceX: The goal is Mars (interview w/ LA Times)

Liberty

Many of the questions are infuriating. Take this one:

"The plaque the NASA astronauts left on the moon says, "We came in peace for all mankind." Would that be true if there were a commercial free-for-all in space?"

I would have answered it:  It would be much more true with private industry than with government. Private ventures compete with each other in the marketplace to provide goods and services humanity wants and needs. It is governments who fight wars and wreak havoc and destruction.  While the US Government was placing that plaque on the moon it was simultaneously burning the flesh off children in south east Asia with napalm.

• 1 month later...

Here's another interview:

Here's a note I made in my "rationality quotes" document based on the interview:

It’s important to reason from first principles rather than by analogy. So don’t do things because “they are like something else that people do” or expect things to be "a certain way because they've been like that in the past" but rather because they agree with fundamental truths known to be correct. --paraphrasing Elon Musk

Definitely applies to investing. Going back to fundamental principles when reasoning can help avoid herd-like behaviour.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...