Romney kids trust fund

shalab

I think people are missing my point--I never said anything about performance or education--clearly, people that are better off are able to provide more opportunities for their children.  It would be silly to not provide the best education and opportunity that you can.  There is a huge difference between that and giving your children anything they want and instilling poor values.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are missing my point--I never said anything about performance or education--clearly, people that are better off are able to provide more opportunities for their children.  It would be silly to not provide the best education and opportunity that you can.  There is a huge difference between that and giving your children anything they want and instilling poor values.

How would you measure values? For example, you might survey heirs with "Is [intelligence; perseverance] a virtue and receive positive answers. However, those are opinions from a naive group that hasn't tasted the hopelessness of paying 90%+ of manual labor income into living expenses. It's also easy to follow "good values" when all your peers have high expectations, and your parents have advanced degrees, and your role models are intellectual (perhaps this supports your point).

Actually, I don't disagree anecdotally, but would add the conditional that many wealthy kids have good values GIVEN their circumstances. Who knows how those values would hold up if their wealth evaporated in jr. high.