Sorry Everyone!

Parsad

I don't think putting a subscription fee for joining any forum is good idea even if you keep 3 months free trial. Numbers of members might be more managable if you put a fee but I think most NEW people don't really bother with any forum if it has a subscription fee. Quality of forum is very good but it's better to not block any new member who might be very good contributor and can learn by interacting as well.

Thinking aloud, may be we can chip in to set up a seed fund and then invest it. Investment returns should take care of costs going forward. May be it's too complicated and Sanjeev's donation idea is good enough. In general this kind of problem should be easily fixed by the hosting company and forum owner should not have to spend time.

I would pay the membership fee, no problem. What I worry about is that closed forums tend to stop attracting new members because with most forums, you have to be part of a community for a while before you realize how valuable it is, so few people would be ready to pay just to join.

Who knows, maybe the best contributors have yet to join, and it would be a shame to keep them out.

Maybe Parsad could set up a donation/tip jar? Maybe - as someone offered - he could move to a donated servers to bring down expenses? I just think we should be very careful about doing something that could make the quality of the community plateau or degrade over time.

Definitely agree with this.  tip jar would be the best imo. You definitely don't want to lock new prospective members out.  

A tip jar would be the most logical solution, because I worry the same, as Bargainman, that with a closed community we might tend to stop attracting knowledgeable new members. I am a member from the earliest days of the old forum at MSN (2002/03). In the old days/old MSN forum, I had more time to post here and I would have considered myself a power user. Learned so much by bsilly and you all folks, I had enjoyed the humble humor of lotsofcoke about Chemical Ali and the Shorts  :D and besides I would never made that neat money on the sideline. ;D  I would also pay for a closed forum with joy, but unfortunately without being open, this forum would have never become the forum it is today - i.e.: attracted all the worshippers. This situation is a type of strategical prisoner's dilemma.  ::)   Sanjeev might rather want to imitate Mohnish's Dakshana Foundation web page with a PayPal donation link as a tip jar (---> http://www.dakshana.org/donate/donate.asp  ).  

Does anyone know why, on this forum, the login procedure will not keep my username and password for when i log in next time. The old way i just had to click on the site and i was logged in - this way i have to enter username and pw each time. Ive clicked all "keep me logged in" etc.

If anyone knows what i have to do to be automatically logged in as soon as I enter the site would be appreciated

TIA

Does anyone know why, on this forum, the login procedure will not keep my username and password for when i log in next time. The old way i just had to click on the site and i was logged in - this way i have to enter username and pw each time. Ive clicked all "keep me logged in" etc.

If anyone knows what i have to do to be automatically logged in as soon as I enter the site would be appreciated

TIA

I have that issue with some browsers as well. Chrome seems to keep me logged in though.

Regarding the fee discouraging new members, I really don't think $25 a year would be too much of a deturrant and as tnp20 said, a 3 month free trial period should resolve this. But I am sure that Sanjeev could use the fees to make the board even better and more reliable. I just think that we gain a lot from having him manage the board and we don't contribute even a small token of our appreciation.

I have a lot of experience with this kind of thing. A fee of even 50 cents would dramatically cut down new members. Heck, you just add a few fields or a few screens to click through on a registration form and you'll cut down on the number of people who join. There's a huge psychological chasm between free and paid services, and even friction that might seem like it wouldn't matter does make a difference over time. I know it can sound counter-intuitive, but that's how things work online.

A tip jar would be the most logical solution, because I worry the same, as Bargainman, that with a closed community we might tend to stop attracting knowledgeable new members...

Off topic, but nice avatar berkshiremystery. I LOVE that book (Godel, Escher, Bach). One of my faves ever.

TIA

You or Windows might have wrongly configured the "Internet Explorer" settings/preferences  after a software update, or you might have some wrong default cookie settings ::)

To find Internet Explorer settings

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

You might have to change you "Cookie" settings

TIA

You or Windows might have wrongly configured the "Internet Explorer" settings/preferences  after a software update, or you might have some wrong default cookie settings ::)

To find Internet Explorer settings

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

You might have to change you "Cookie" settings

Thankyou.

There have been updates on this internet explorer so I'll have to check the settings. Any idea what the settings should be at?

A tip jar would be the most logical solution, because I worry the same, as Bargainman, that with a closed community we might tend to stop attracting knowledgeable new members...

Off topic, but nice avatar berkshiremystery. I LOVE that book (Godel, Escher, Bach). One of my faves ever.

Don't worry, your subject isn't much off topic, because after yesterdays forum crash, all members avatar photos have also crashed into nirvana.

Sanjeev's Graham avy pic flushed down into internet heaven. ;) My old Yellow Brick Road picture from the Wizard of Oz was also missing, so it took some while to find an intellectually stimulating eyecatcher  :)

In regards to the entrance fee for the forum - please don't have one. I'm a college student and can assure that I would not have paid the entrance fee. If there was a one/three month free trial period I would have done that and made multiple accounts, annoying both of us - I have to make lots of accounts and you are stuck with a ton of never used accounts.

Donation button is the way to go.

And yes, this site is great.

Sanjeev might rather want to imitate Mohnish's Dakshana Foundation web page with a PayPal donation link as a tip jar (---> http://www.dakshana.org/donate/donate.asp  ).  

Did anyone tried solving prime problem mentioned in 2009 AR of Dakshana? It took me full 10 minutes, intuitively I was trying induction method to solve it and then had aha moment. i guess it can be solved in sev eral ways though. Anual report does sound like a company annual report and Mohnish has done a fantastic job with this. Anyway, sorry for going off topic.

I have a lot of experience with this kind of thing. A fee of even 50 cents would dramatically cut down new members. Heck, you just add a few fields or a few screens to click through on a registration form and you'll cut down on the number of people who join. There's a huge psychological chasm between free and paid services, and even friction that might seem like it wouldn't matter does make a difference over time. I know it can sound counter-intuitive, but that's how things work online.

Definitely agree.  Freemium models I've seen usually have a 1-2% paid vs free user ratio.  It's just the way the online world works.  If you want to be paid, then the donation jar let's you contribute, problem solved without discouraging new recruits!