Biglari, Fremont, and class b shares

ragnarisapirate

I dont own FMMH or BH.

I think Biglari made the initial offer for BH at $19 or there abouts - don't remember the exact amount. Now he is making an offer at $31 roughly an year out. Now, if the management waits another year, the offer may go up to $40. Can't fault FMMH here for holding out  ;D

Sanjeev, how much do you know about Stilwell? And how confident are you with the stated book value?

Not terribly.  I've never owned Kingsway, nor was I interested in the past.  But I'm more intrigued now at these prices after the fall, and now that they've sold a number of assets. 

We still don't own it, as I'm still working my way through the issues there and the risks involved, and examining exactly if there is an activist opportunity there.  I'm not a pay up for a good business type of guy, let alone pay up for a business run by a guy like Dunning.  Cheers! 

Not terribly.  I've never owned Kingsway, nor was I interested in the past.  But I'm more intrigued now at these prices after the fall, and now that they've sold a number of assets. 

We still don't own it, as I'm still working my way through the issues there and the risks involved, and examining exactly if there is an activist opportunity there.  I'm not a pay up for a good business type of guy, let alone pay up for a business run by a guy like Dunning.  Cheers! 

Parsad, could you share your views on KFS?

With a substantial part of the equity in cash (after the sell of the Canadian business), an aggressive expense reduction program and buying their debt at a discount it seemed like there was an opportunity. Also Stilwell was buying at prices higher than $4 in Nov 2009 and it looked like they only needed to solve the Lincoln issues for a fine turnaround.

However,  they have been unable to fix the loss ratio of a short tail American business after more than two years. Do you understand why they have not stopped u/w at these rates?

Also regarding the spinoffs of some of their divisions, I am still in the dark for the reasons. Do you know what they are trying to achieve?

That article about Biglari stealing Fremont was a hoot. For one, can anyone name me any thinly-traded company on the OTC market that trades at fair value? Secondly, the article completely ignores the two most recent quarters for Fremont. If you look at the last two 10Q's, you'll see that underwriting losses have ballooned in their personal lines business and that the combined ratio will almost certainly finish the year at over well over 100%. Ignoring book value growth (which really has only been a result of a rising market), does anyone really think that an illiquid insurer with poor underwriting really deserve a premium price?

In my opinion, $28 (which is about book value, is what Fremont is actually worth). the $31 offer is a fair premium that an acquirer should have to pay.

Disclosure: I sold up after the $31 offer was announced.

That to me sounds like the Board will fight the takeover.

The special committee also disclosed that it retained Philo Smith Capital Corporation as its financial advisor to explore a broad range of strategic alternatives to enhance shareholder value. These alternatives include, but are not limited to, a revised business plan, operating partnerships, joint ventures, strategic alliances, acquisitions, exchange listing applications, a recapitalization, and the sale or merger of Fremont.

Perhaps the Michigan school systems suck, and students are thought that $31 is less than $27.50 or whatever the current stock price is. 

What a bunch of jokers.

Disclosure - no position in FMMH or BH