Chou Funds - semi-annual posted

omagh

Email them at the following address as they are really quick to respond:  admin@choufunds.com

Thanks,

Shahed

http://www.chouamerica.com/pdf/Chou%20America%20-%202010%2007%2001%20(Prospectus).pdf

Does Chou Canada have the ability to invest in all these instruments as described in the Chou America funds prospectus? It sounds like he could make large Prem-like bets on deflation, currencies, financial armageddon, etc. via derivatives. I like the idea, but I wish they would get the Chou America funds cranked up, get a symbol, and make them available at TD Ameritrade and the like.

i'm wary of funds that charge 12b1 fees. i'm really disappointed in that.

I tried emailing them at the address listed on the Chou America funds website to ask about this fee and got a bouceback email saying there was no such user.

One thing to be careful about the warrants is the deflation scenario - if the deflation plays out as Hamblin/Watsa is betting as in Japan; the bank stocks may not work out the way people project.

Fairfax also has a huge portion of its equity portfolio in WFC and USB.

I've been looking at this fund. There are a couple different versions of the fund, Series A and Series F. The later looks to be available with a lower MER, since we're bypassing the middle man. The prospectus states "We do not pay any commission to a dealer who sells Series F securities which means that we can charge a lower management fee. Series F securities are also available to other groups of investors for whom we do not incur distribution costs."

What would define he "other groups of invesotrs for whom we do not incur distribution costs?" If a someone is an accredited investor and lives in the US, could he or she purchase the shares of the Series F?

If I get a wrap fee program, could I terminate the wrap and still maintain my position in the Series F?

Thanks for the help guys!

I think your questions would be best answered by a brief phone call to Chou Funds.  

It's only available in Canada. They did refer me to the Chou America funds, though.

One thing to be careful about the warrants is the deflation scenario - if the deflation plays out as Hamblin/Watsa is betting as in Japan; the bank stocks may not work out the way people project.

You mean Japan 1992-2002, or Japan 2002-2007? Both periods were deflationary but they are very different in every other aspect, and the consequence for banks too.