What I Learned About Investing From Darwin - Pulak Prasad

cash_incinerator

@cash_incinerator,

I added this book to my wishlist. Thank you for the recommendation.

The angle of the book described in the narrative on Amazon [analogy between evolotionary biology and investing, competition, innovation, business cycles etc.] appears to me interesting, and in a way intuitively already laying in front of the right foot, however I don't recall ever to have read anything [papers or books] pursuing it further.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Also, Your little story about how you got your copy of the book is to me very important, because it tells a lot about the personality and mentality of Mr. Pabrai, where the small things and tokens matters, here giving you a book as an appreciation for and of your donation.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Also a belated welcome to CoBF! 🙂

Edited by John Hjorth

• Parsad changed the title to What I Learned About Investing From Darwin - Pulak Prasad

”What I Learned About Investing From Darwin” rhymes with ”Fooled by Randomness”.

I have recent experience with:

the lucky fool who happens to be in the right place at the right time–he embodies the “survival of the least fit.”

Edited by formthirteen

• 3 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Thank you @cash_incinerator for the recommendation.

My only quibble is his fund appears to be structured like VC / PE where the LPs make commitments and the fund then calls them as needed.  This reduces the penalty of "waiting" for these valuation shocks as they have not called the money yet.  I wish he'd included a chapter/section on how this strategy impacts overall returns for individual investors who have often have money coming in monthly and the cost of waiting 5+ years between valuation shocks can be quite high as the overall index has likely advanced substantially.  This was especially true in the 2012->2020 window when interest rates on cash were so low.

This was a fun book thanks for that, it comes through that this is thousands of hours of thought and lived experience distilled down to a short book.  If he was a US based investor this would be a much more popular book.

In the audiobook they pronounced the acronym ROCE as "roas" in roast which isn't how I had pronounced it in my head.