Yin/Yang - Agony/Ecstacy

Crip1

Full disclosure, I am US born and bred and though I never played, I have always thought that hockey was a great sport...a remarkable blend of what's normally thought of as polar opposites: Brute Force and Poetry-in-Motion.

Consistent with the theme of polar opposites, I give you the Gold Medal hockey game of the 2010 Olympics. The game itself had plenty of action, some stellar goaltending, skillful pinpoint passing, crushing body checks, etc. While it can be argued that there have been better played hockey games through the years, today's game was quite enjoyable to watch, even if it was not the outcome I wanted.

The banter between fans of both sides of the border, however, fell far short in terms of quality compared to the game today. It ranged from ill-informed to ignorant to downright banal. I was mortified that fellow Americans would speak with such disdain of Canadians and heard plenty of the citizenry from the Great White North which was equally nauseating. It is fascinating, bewildering and highly disappointing that the grace and guts that is well-played hockey is tainted by a huge collection of a**holes on both sides of the US/Canada border.

I would offer this as a member of US hockey fandom: I thought that it was fitting that the game today went into overtime, that it was so even in terms of shots on goal, faceoffs won, etc. The Gold and Silver medal winning teams were certainly head and shoulders above the rest of the hockey world this year and both squads are to be commended. Without question, I would have been overjoyed had our boys from the US, a young and relitively inexperienced team, been able to capture gold in Vancouver. If that was not to be, then without question there is no other country in the world I would rather see wearing gold than Canada. Perhaps it is due to our cultural similiarities, or several trips I have enjoyed to the GWN, (or the fact that I have made some serious money on a certain Toronto-domiciled insurance holding company), but hockey is Canada's sport and Canada's passion, and I am genuinely happy for the players, coaches and fans of Team Canada. They were the best team on the ice today and deserved the gold.

Congratulations one and all, and please know that while we have plenty of ignorant numbskulls here in the US, there are a multitude of others like me who respect and admire the hockey team and the country of Canada.

All the best.

-Crip

Full disclosure, I am US born and bred and though I never played, I have always thought that hockey was a great sport...a remarkable blend of what's normally thought of as polar opposites: Brute Force and Poetry-in-Motion.

Consistent with the theme of polar opposites, I give you the Gold Medal hockey game of the 2010 Olympics. The game itself had plenty of action, some stellar goaltending, skillful pinpoint passing, crushing body checks, etc. While it can be argued that there have been better played hockey games through the years, today's game was quite enjoyable to watch, even if it was not the outcome I wanted.

The banter between fans of both sides of the border, however, fell far short in terms of quality compared to the game today. It ranged from ill-informed to ignorant to downright banal. I was mortified that fellow Americans would speak with such disdain of Canadians and heard plenty of the citizenry from the Great White North which was equally nauseating. It is fascinating, bewildering and highly disappointing that the grace and guts that is well-played hockey is tainted by a huge collection of a**holes on both sides of the US/Canada border.

I would offer this as a member of US hockey fandom: I thought that it was fitting that the game today went into overtime, that it was so even in terms of shots on goal, faceoffs won, etc. The Gold and Silver medal winning teams were certainly head and shoulders above the rest of the hockey world this year and both squads are to be commended. Without question, I would have been overjoyed had our boys from the US, a young and relitively inexperienced team, been able to capture gold in Vancouver. If that was not to be, then without question there is no other country in the world I would rather see wearing gold than Canada. Perhaps it is due to our cultural similiarities, or several trips I have enjoyed to the GWN, (or the fact that I have made some serious money on a certain Toronto-domiciled insurance holding company), but hockey is Canada's sport and Canada's passion, and I am genuinely happy for the players, coaches and fans of Team Canada. They were the best team on the ice today and deserved the gold.

Congratulations one and all, and please know that while we have plenty of ignorant numbskulls here in the US, there are a multitude of others like me who respect and admire the hockey team and the country of Canada.

All the best.

-Crip

Hear Hear!  I have nothing further to add, but CONGRATULATIONS!  :)

Terrific post Crip!  The one thing I would like to point out...a gold-medal in hockey won by the Americans would be celebrated by fans in the U.S., but a gold medal in hockey won by Canadians unites the entire country.  I cannot understate the impact that this win has had on many Canadians across the country, and what has happened here in Vancouver and British Columbia in general is unbelievable.  People are in such revelry around the city, it's as if it was V-E Day!  I can only imagine how many people will not show up to work tomorrow.  

The comraderie that the Olympics generated is truly astounding.  I was one of those people that thought having the games here was not a good idea...I'm still unhappy with the amount of money spent...but the unifying impact of the event is priceless!  It is one big drunken festival over 17 days, but it shows how all people in the world truly can get along if they want to and have a reason to.  Cheers!

All the best.

-Crip

Stephen, that's a very elegant behavior.

No problem for some of your fellows US citizens. More than 10 years ago, I've been to Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire a few times by hitchhiking (I used to be more frugal...). I've had a terrific time over there. Most of the people I've met were warm, friendly and generous. I'll always remember my short stay at Meredith and a person who've done one hour more of car driving just to help me to get where I wanted faster.

Cheers!