Finding/ Interviewing Listing Agents

LounginMKL

Whatever you do make sure your negotiate the commission. 5% is easy and I got great service for 4.5% last time.

From my experience, the highest volume realtors aren’t always the best.

I would negotiate commish...after getting a good offer. of course if I get an offer at full asking price I dont negotiate the commish but I haven't seen a full price or bidding war in a couple of decades personally,  but one way getting an improved result after the offeror stands pat and the net is lower than you would like is to then simply ask broker to move a bit...and he/she likely will and happily will to cement sale...but dont piss off your broker before getting the listing by trying to discount commish.

A little unethical, no?

Whatever you do make sure your negotiate the commission. 5% is easy and I got great service for 4.5% last time.

From my experience, the highest volume realtors aren’t always the best.

I would negotiate commish...after getting a good offer. of course if I get an offer at full asking price I dont negotiate the commish but I haven't seen a full price or bidding war in a couple of decades personally,  but one way getting an improved result after the offeror stands pat and the net is lower than you would like is to then simply ask broker to move a bit...and he/she likely will and happily will to cement sale...but dont piss off your broker before getting the listing by trying to discount commish.

A little unethical, no?

Most listing agents, from what I've seen, would require you to give exclusivity of 3 -6 months before the property is listed.

A seasoned RE person reminded me of another reason to use an agent- legal liabilities. He mentioned that selling SFH in California can create a lot of disclosure liabilities on the seller. If I do not cross the T's or dot the I's, I could open myself up to a lawsuit. Because of this, FSBO/internet has not made a dent on the residential brokerage industry.

Hiring a broker indemnifies the seller (me).