Are you a Berkshire Hathaway Inc. investor?

John Hjorth
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest longinvestor

An idea triggered by Munger’s comment in the 50th year letter, “The stuff we have now is enough” had me come up with NPV’s of future cash flows under various scenarios; staying flat at current rate for aa decade; growing modestly and then flattening out; and of course  various discount rates. Under all assumptions the price was lower than value. This was in 2015, I think. Berkshire ‘s value has marched on at some of my aggressive assumptions. I plan to do this again this May.

Yep - I have not done the exercise outside of my mind but that is what I concluded the result would most likely be.

Everytime someone says that "Buffett's age is the risk" I think, well if he died tomorrow and they started such a runoff, it would probably increase the speed at which Berkshire's value is "realized".

Regarding buybacks vs. dividends -

Once Warren is gone, I prefer dividends. I don't trust the next guy to buy appropriately.

While Warren is alive, I prefer neither. I'd rather give him as much opportunity to find another elephant.

I actually think that Buffett has addressed his age/transition for a while now. I would like to think that a big chunk of the capital allocated over the past decade (some $100-150 B) has been in the hands of someone other than himself. Ajit and Greg have been solo for a long time, so are all the subs. T & T are there (as Buffett has stated multiple times ) to support capital allocation at the subs. Todd brought PCP to the table etc.  I'd venture that either Todd or Ted even had a hand in the Apple investment. Mentoring for 10 years ain't shabby at all. By the time announcement makes the headline, it would be mere formality. 

• 4 weeks later...

Conclusion so far: Berkshire - A CoBF darling!

Right now I see five CoBF members with a gross position above 100 percent. At least to me, that's ballsy!

- - - o 0 o - - -

This post is also meant as a friendly bump - the poll is still open, for those members who haven't taken it yet!

I use the training wheels model. I was at like 80% brk for equity portfolio, now down to 40%. The 40% that went down was put into other high quality companies at what hopefully was a decent price that didn't overlap with anything held inside brk equity portfolio. I don't see BRk doubling quite as fast as other potential opportunities. No fault to berkshire! But what can one do? it's a good but difficult problem.