BRK: Oncor Acquisition

Valuehalla

Guest longinvestor

Reuters : Elliot says considering a USD 18.5 B deal for Oncor.

This will be interesting to follow going forward.

It appears to me that this is an attempt by Elliott to make Berkshire to cough up a bit more. There's been a lot of legal and frictional costs from 4 years of BK. Trying to write off less and eyeing deep pockets. Typical of lawsuits. We will see who eats it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone here knows how rate regulation works in a case like Oncor, allowed returns, methodology, etc?

Don't know the particulars for Oncor in Texas, but for transmission assets in the US they're generally allowed 12% ROE on a capital structure that's about 1/3 equity, 2/3 debt.

From a 2014 article:

Currently, Texas regulators allow a 10% return on equity and are likely to approve the $1 billion per year capital spending program Oncor has proposed for new infrastructure to help meet Texas’ rising electricity demand.

http://www.utilitydive.com/news/which-utility-will-warren-buffett-buy-next/265887/

Guest longinvestor

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170725006567/en/10-Stakeholders-Support-Berkshire-Hathaway-Energy%E2%80%99s-Bid

This is somewhat rare, all of the publicity with a deal that is not consummated yet.

It underscores just how good the alternate approach usually taken by Berkshire is. Which is to make deals with a handshake and numbers written on a napkin. And super fast. No room for leaks and the publicity that goes with it.

Alas, as the pile grows from 10's to 100's of Billion, some such deals are inevitable. Maybe with Oncor, they are learning a script of how to do this well for the future.

All that said, this is public lesson of how Berkshire does deals versus almost everyone else. Especially PE firms, with the attendant Investment Bank role etc. I love it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see some moves by Elliott described and covered in the "General news" topic by provided links, and some "counter" messages from Berkshire. Thank you to fellow board members for that.

Yes, we are in the final stages of a game of Chess here, involving billions of USD.

As I understand things, Future Energy Holdings has been in bankruptcy for about four years. Here I understand "bankruptcy" as "being under creditor protection". [i hope I have understood the phrase "bankruptcy" correctly here.]

My question here is: How long can this go on? Here, where I live [Denmark], a company cannot exist for such a long period without a solution to its debt/liquidity problems without being "declared dead", meaning going into forced liquidation, managed by a liquidator, who has power to wind up the whole Holly-go-Molly, thereby enforcing losses on creditors.

In the United States a company can stay under creditor protection for a very long time in certain cases.  W.R. Grace, a company that made Ted Weschler very wealthy, was in bankruptcy for something like 12 years.  That said - it costs a lot in professional fees and other expenses and these failed deals have breakup fees (like quarter billion dollar break fees) - and all the money spent on that type of stuff reduces the amount available for creditors.  And since Oncor is completely "ring-fenced," it's not like time is on creditors side with a profitable business paying dividends up to the bankrupt parent.  Oncor can go up in value over time, which might help get a higher price - but it won't send cash up to the EFH entities until it is sold.

Ultimately, Berkshire Energy is betting that their deal is the only deal that gets by regulators and Elliott is betting that they can bluff BRK into raising.  Elliott is extremely unlikely to come up with a deal that wins over regulators - but we will see...

Guest longinvestor

In the United States a company can stay under creditor protection for a very long time in certain cases.  W.R. Grace, a company that made Ted Weschler very wealthy, was in bankruptcy for something like 12 years.  That said - it costs a lot in professional fees and other expenses and these failed deals have breakup fees (like quarter billion dollar break fees) - and all the money spent on that type of stuff reduces the amount available for creditors.  And since Oncor is completely "ring-fenced," it's not like time is on creditors side with a profitable business paying dividends up to the bankrupt parent.  Oncor can go up in value over time, which might help get a higher price - but it won't send cash up to the EFH entities until it is sold.

Ultimately, Berkshire Energy is betting that their deal is the only deal that gets by regulators and Elliott is betting that they can bluff BRK into raising.  Elliott is extremely unlikely to come up with a deal that wins over regulators - but we will see...

+1 ..It's a bluff to try and squeeze Berkshire to pony up a bit more. Given that this has been playing out for four years already, time is not on Elliott's side. Oncor has already come out saying that should this deal fall through, any future offers from Berkshire would likely be for less than this time.

Who knows, Buffett may relent and pony up a nickel more as an act of good faith, and can say "They wrung out the last nickel from us" and Elliott goes away happy(not).

+1 ..It's a bluff to try and squeeze Berkshire to pony up a bit more. Given that this has been playing out for four years already, time is not on Elliott's side. Oncor has already come out saying that should this deal fall through, any future offers from Berkshire would likely be for less than this time.

Who knows, Buffett may relent and pony up a nickel more as an act of good faith, and can say "They wrung out the last nickel from us" and Elliott goes away happy(not).

I don't think that BRK ponies up anything more. This is not just about value it's about setting precedent. BRK would rather walk away than pay more because if they pay more they'll have a bunch of Elliott types trying to vulch on all they're future deals.

The nickel thing was for Mid-American and that was a transformative acquisition for BRK and I bet they really wanted it. Oncor is no such thing.... so not even a nickel.

I asked this before but how much higher is Elliott hoping to get.  The difference in the competing offers seem relatively small.

Elliott appears to want $400 million more, but it may be affected by whether the judge rules that NextEra is entitled to their breakup fee.  NextEra, understandably thinks it is owed the cash but they probably could have closed the deal if they were willing to budge on the ring fencing they knew the regulators wanted.  If Elliott "wins" and both Berkshire and NextEra get $270m, then Elliott doesn't really "win" until their equalization plan results in a capital gain down the line.

I asked this before but how much higher is Elliott hoping to get.  The difference in the competing offers seem relatively small.

Elliott appears to want $400 million more, but it may be affected by whether the judge rules that NextEra is entitled to their breakup fee.  NextEra, understandably thinks it is owed the cash but they probably could have closed the deal if they were willing to budge on the ring fencing they knew the regulators wanted.  If Elliott "wins" and both Berkshire and NextEra get $270m, then Elliott doesn't really "win" until their equalization plan results in a capital gain down the line.

Thanks.  That's what I thought, which seems a lot of work for small bump.

I think percentage wise it is a big difference for some of the classes of bonds that will not receive a full recovery and were purchased by Elliott at big discounts to par.  But I'm not an expert on the various classes of creditors involved here.  I know several will not receive 100 cents on the dollar

Thanks.  That's what I thought, which seems a lot of work for small bump.