OT: water filters

Hey all,

I'm getting a bit more serious about a house water filter. I'd like something that sets on the countertop or something that is easy to install. Since I'll probably sell the house within a couple years, I'd prefer not to go the whole house route or under the counter installation. I've been reading about the Berkey line and that seems to be decent but one shouldn't believe everything on line. Anyone have any recommendations besides the typical brita filter?

Hard to provide an appropriate recommendation unless you indicate what you are trying to remove from your water.

In general, unless there is a particular organic or inorganic contaminant that you are trying to remove (and you have tested the water to verify its presence at an undesirable level), I am not sure water filters are a great investment.

Sorry for the somewhat non-constructive reply.  My professional background is in environmental health...I spent a lot of time in the past talking people out of fancy water filter filtration systems and/or indoor air systems that were hawked by less-than-savory sales people who prey on irrational fear. 

Sorry for the somewhat non-constructive reply.  My professional background is in environmental health...I spent a lot of time in the past talking people out of fancy water filter filtration systems and/or indoor air systems that were hawked by less-than-savory sales people who prey on irrational fear.

+1

Another thing that bothers me is people drinking bottled water at home....

Honestly,  there isn't a particular thing.  I'm trying to remove.  I was hoping you get something that removed most things while keeping the minerals. I like the idea of distilling it but that removes the good stuff too.

Honestly,  there isn't a particular thing.  I'm trying to remove.  I was hoping you get something that removed most things while keeping the minerals. I like the idea of distilling it but that removes the good stuff too.

If you have a well, and you've tested your water and know what's in it you should be fine without a filter.  If you have town/city water you might want something to get rid of the chlorine.  Even the pitcher Brita or PUR filters will do that, or an under the sink activated carbon filter.  But if your water has fluoride added to it, you might want something that can remove that as well, I don't think a carbon filter or Brita filter will do.  You really need to get your water analyzed to see what exactly it is you want to remove (if anything) then research which type of filter you need.

ah yes, I'd love to get rid of fluoride but that stuff is notoriously hard to get rid of.

I know.  I have my own well water now, but when I used to live in Massachusetts we drank bottled water to avoid the fluoride, we had one of those dispensers which take the 5 gallon bottles.  Unfortunately that is a political issue on a local level, you'd have to try to get your municipality to stop adding it.