What companies have the best management teams?

Guest Schwab711

I found that a portfolio manager named Jason Donville was mentioned in nearly every article about CSU. Donville is very generous about sharing his thoughts in his quarterly letters and on BNN. His writings provided me with a good way to think about M&A driven firms:

http://www.donvillekent.com/roe-reporter.php

AFAIK, he first mentioned CSU in 2009.

thanks for the heads up, Donville's letters to investors are great.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wellmont

i don't think energy ceos get a lot of credit because they are in commodity businesses and always subject to price moves. murray edwards created a ton of value in energy. But i believe michael rose of tourmaline oil (alberta) belongs on the list for both operations and capital allocation skill. i think he knows how to create real LT value and does his best work when times are tough in the patch. he's conservative, understates his assets, and under promises and over delivers. rose sold his last company in early 2008 at the very top of the last cycle to shell. he was able to get financing right away and bought 1m+ acres in alberta/bc during 2009 downturn after prices had cratered, when nobody else had any money. rose has been buying assets in western canada over the last year from distressed sellers.

he just bought 5,000 shares of tou on the open market last week. :)

I assume we're trying to move past the obvious ones, like BRK, FFH, MKL, QSR, etc...

Here are some of my favorites:

Charter Communications (CHTR): I believe Tom Rutledge is the best cable (media distribution) CEO in the U.S.

Liberty Global (LBTYA): Mike Fries is the Tom Rutledge of Europe

Liberty Complex (LMCA, LVNTA, QVCA, LBRDA, LTRPA): Greg Maffei. Excellent capital allocator.