What happened to this board?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another example, PM is another ideal value stock, fine say there are about 200 posts, if I start one for Karelia (smallcap tobacco) I bet there will be 6 posts and most people wouldn't care cos they never heard of it.

i'd be very interested to read about karelia.  but i probably wouldn't post in its thread, because i don't think i'd have anything useful to say.

Ok I started a thread.....

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/investment-ideas/athkare-karelia-tobacco/

Most online communities go downhill as they get larger and become diluted, the core founding posters simply move on or are drowned by newer users.

Users experience the grass is greener back in the good old days thought pattern that all people are prone to, nothing is ever as good the second time around, pioneering is fun.

I don't think that is the issue here though.

There is a structural issue with the layout of the forum, most forums have a general category (for broad discussion of the forum's core topic), targeted sub categories, and an off-topic category.

Here we have the general category and off-topic category rolled into the one sub-forum. This isn't a big problem when the community is small, but as it has grown, and investment opportunities have declined, it starts to drown out on-topic discussion.

Most online communities go downhill as they get larger and become diluted, the core founding posters simply move on or are drowned by newer users.

Users experience the grass is greener back in the good old days thought pattern that all people are prone to, nothing is ever as good the second time around, pioneering is fun.

I don't think that is the issue here though.

There is a structural issue with the layout of the forum, most forums have a general category (for broad discussion of the forum's core topic), targeted sub categories, and an off-topic category.

Here we have the general category and off-topic category rolled into the one sub-forum. This isn't a big problem when the community is small, but as it has grown, and investment opportunities have declined, it starts to drown out on-topic discussion.

Hey, look what I found.  A link to Buffett's Laguna Beach house with pictures!!!  :-)

Buyers Selling Laguna Beach Warren Buffett House at a Loss - PriceChopper - Curbed LA

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/10/laguna_beach_buyers_selling_warren_buffett_house_at_a_loss.php#emeraldbay-13

This board was born at the perfect time, at the dawn of 10 years of a flat market with significant volatility - two 50% bears (2002 and 2008) and one 20% (2011). I have long wondered what it would look like here if the market was to enter/have entered a period like 1982-2000...I think we are seeing it.

For me personally, the lack of Sanjeev is huge. I learned boatloads from him between 2010 when I joined thru say 2012/2013; with Ericopoly and Uccmal close behind. And it was fun when MooreCapital was here...

So I guess here's to hoping for that bear market Hussy has been calling for since S&P 1200 :)

It's not that I've gone away.  I'm here every day for a while, but I just can't say as much as I used to.

I think boardmembers have to understand that things are cyclical.  When we first started, my friend LotsofCoke and Bsilly, were the premier posters on the board.  Circumstances and times change, and you had others take their place like Ericopoly, Twcowfca, Uccmal, etc.  But those guys did really well in the last couple of downcycles and don't need to waste their time digging for nuggets when they will simply wait for the next big correction...the rest of their time is spent on other things, like family, enjoying life, etc.

So in this next cycle, there will be newer members who will take their place in terms of quality and quantity of posts.  It may take some time for the board to whittle down to whom they place on that mantle, but it will come as it always has for the last 13 years.  And of course, the older boardmembers will come out of hibernation when the shit hits the fan and share their brilliance once again.

Too many times I've seen people want this or that in a forum or tool, yet functionality and simplicity go by the wayside and the experience deteriorates.  Why has this board not been replicated successfully?  Stockhouse is crap, as is Motley Fool, Yahoo and even Greenblatt's Value Investing forum suffers from "Let's tweak it until we f*ck it up!"

The non-investment threads in General Discussion usually appear when ideas become thinner...yes, I've heard the crap about 60,000 companies globally...how many are in that investor's circle of competence?!

The forum is a vehicle based on give and take.  Some want better ideas and more investment content...yet how much have they contributed back in ideas and investment content lately? 

When events and circumstances create uncertainty in the markets, that is when you get the best out of this forum, as many once again start to contribute.  When things are quiet and circumspect, you get non-investment related discussions and thin contributions.  It's pretty simple!

Cheers!

It's not that I've gone away.  I'm here every day for a while, but I just can't say as much as I used to.

I think boardmembers have to understand that things are cyclical.  When we first started, my friend LotsofCoke and Bsilly, were the premier posters on the board.  Circumstances and times change, and you had others take their place like Ericopoly, Twcowfca, Uccmal, etc.  But those guys did really well in the last couple of downcycles and don't need to waste their time digging for nuggets when they will simply wait for the next big correction...the rest of their time is spent on other things, like family, enjoying life, etc.

So in this next cycle, there will be newer members who will take their place in terms of quality and quantity of posts.  It may take some time for the board to whittle down to whom they place on that mantle, but it will come as it always has for the last 13 years.  And of course, the older boardmembers will come out of hibernation when the shit hits the fan and share their brilliance once again.

Too many times I've seen people want this or that in a forum or tool, yet functionality and simplicity go by the wayside and the experience deteriorates.  Why has this board not been replicated successfully?  Stockhouse is crap, as is Motley Fool, Yahoo and even Greenblatt's Value Investing forum suffers from "Let's tweak it until we f*ck it up!"

The non-investment threads in General Discussion usually appear when ideas become thinner...yes, I've heard the crap about 60,000 companies globally...how many are in that investor's circle of competence?!

The forum is a vehicle based on give and take.  Some want better ideas and more investment content...yet how much have they contributed back in ideas and investment content lately? 

When events and circumstances create uncertainty in the markets, that is when you get the best out of this forum, as many once again start to contribute.  When things are quiet and circumspect, you get non-investment related discussions and thin contributions.  It's pretty simple!

Cheers!

But.. but.. but...  I want my free ice cream and I want it with hot choclate and nuts god damn it...  :)