Howard Marks Interviews Joel Greenblatt

dcollon

Good video.  Nothing I haven't heard from Greenblatt or Marks before.  However, I think Greenblatt's advice to look where others aren't looking is spot on and can't be repeated enough.  The big boys simply can't play in the "kiddie" pool and the "kiddie" pool is actually huge if you're an individual investor. 

I also liked how Greenblatt addressed the idea that today its a lot harder to deliver returns because more smart people are involved, technology, etc.  Greenblatt basically said that although its true more smart people are involved today, the ones who are really good typically get too big very quickly.  Therefore, they can't play in small & micro caps for example.  In other words, his view was that there are new people always recycling through and making the same mistakes all novices make. 

Good video.  Nothing I haven't heard from Greenblatt or Marks before.  However, I think Greenblatt's advice to look where others aren't looking is spot on and can't be repeated enough.  The big boys simply can't play in the "kiddie" pool and the "kiddie" pool is actually huge if you're an individual investor. 

I also liked how Greenblatt addressed the idea that today its a lot harder to deliver returns because more smart people are involved, technology, etc.  Greenblatt basically said that although its true more smart people are involved today, the ones who are really good typically get too big very quickly.  Therefore, they can't play in small & micro caps for example.  In other words, his view was that there are new people always recycling through and making the same mistakes all novices make. 

Since most micro caps companies aren't covered by news agency or analysts, how do you find the important news on what the company is doing? Do you depend mostly on the annual reports/earning calls?