shake shack IPO

shalab

Shake shack started in a literal shack (maybe 15sqft) in Madison park in NYC. To this day there are lines which span the south end of the park during lunchtime. The burgers are as BG2008 mentioned succulent and juicy.

No idea about the investment qualities as I haven't read the S1 but just in case people wanted some color.

The origin of Shake Shack, from the horse's mouth.  If you subscribe to Charlie Rose, get on to his website, and later on in that same interview, he talks about why he thinks it's such a huge success:  "People just want to hang out and watch other people".

All of this is way before they decided to make a financial go of it and scale it up big.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Shake Shack near the Museum of Natural History in NYC (it's across the street on one of the block corners that is farthest central park).

Simply put: Best burger I have ever had.  I did the double bacon cheese.  I forget what they call it.  Better than Burger King, Red Robbin, Fudruckers, 5 guys, every local place I ever went to, McDonalds, everything.

I want another one.

When talking PE ratios, please adjust for cash relative to debt.  They just went public so after their initial shenanigans, they will probably have alot of cash.  I have yet to look closer at the balance sheets.  But 10 new locations per year to start is pretty damned slow expansion.  I hope it is due to them needing to iron on the hopefully national sized store model. I still might invest but it is going to take time.

• 3 weeks later...
One noted Shake Shack’s ratio of Instagram followers to revenue is far higher than McDonald’s Corp. , which just reported horrible U.S. sales for February.

I wasn't investing back during the tech bubble but I recall that all sorts of "unique" metrics were used to justify the lofty valuations back then. I found this article interesting and wanted to share it with the board.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/some-food-for-thought-on-investing-ahead-of-the-tape-1426016856