Berkshire's float kept growing, despite the fluctuation of policy prices?

muscleman

I've been reading Buffet's letter and I noticed that although Berkshire experience a few cycles when the insurance market is tough and he stated the willingness to stop underwriting unprofitable policies, Berkshire's float kept growing since 1967. Do you know why? I would assume that the float would shrink heavily when they reduce underwriting volumes. ::)

I've been reading Buffet's letter and I noticed that although Berkshire experience a few cycles when the insurance market is tough and he stated the willingness to stop underwriting unprofitable policies, Berkshire's float kept growing since 1967. Do you know why? I would assume that the float would shrink heavily when they reduce underwriting volumes. ::)

On top of organic growth, they have a lot more insurance subs now than in 1967... The purchase of Gen Re in 1998 added tons of new float, for example.

Geico is growing .... and growing .... and growing ...

:)

Geico is growing .... and growing .... and growing ...

:)

Beginning after Gen Re, most of the float is from the retroactive reinsurance deals.