Buffett/Berkshire - general news

Experienced and Well Informed Brains of COBF,

Instead of BRK purchasing Class B shares on the open market, could BRK contact large holders of B shares and agree to purchase stock from them directly?

Said differently, are these the most likely methods of BRK repurchasing its own shares:

• Buy it on the open market
  • Perform a tender offering to all class B shareholders
  • Or, can they purchase from single large class B shareholders
  • Something else??

I think this would enable them to deploy hundreds of millions fast and efficiently, rather than disturb the daily float?  I know that they couldn't give an advantage price to one large share holder over others, but still..

8) ???

Guest longinvestor

Don’t like this news but it rings inevitable.He’s done enough to educate and energy needs to be conserved some day.

I am predicting a big transition announcement in 2019 to mark 50 years since the last big transition from the partnership.

Experienced and Well Informed Brains of COBF,

Instead of BRK purchasing Class B shares on the open market, could BRK contact large holders of B shares and agree to purchase stock from them directly?

They can and they did.

Don’t like this news but it rings inevitable.He’s done enough to educate and energy needs to be conserved some day.

I am predicting a big transition announcement in 2019 to mark 50 years since the last big transition from the partnership.

Sadly, it does feel like the end of an era is drawing near. IMHO what will be surreal is the first AGM without WEB &/or CM. Or will they start cutting the Q & A shorter,  bringing Todd & Ted up to answer some of the questions?

Guest longinvestor

Sadly, it does feel like the end of an era is drawing near. IMHO what will be surreal is the first AGM without WEB &/or CM. Or will they start cutting the Q & A shorter,  bringing Todd & Ted up to answer some of the questions?

I am thinking more of Ajit and Greg sharing the stage soon.

I'm thinking in line with longinvestor.  I think the logical step would be the chairman and the three vice chairmen on the stage next spring. Reduces workload on the two oldest of the four men during the whole day. Still no interviews with Mr. Buffet since July 17th ["Buyback policy change" announcement date]?

I'm thinking in line with longinvestor.  I think the logical step would be the chairman and the three vice chairmen on the stage next spring. Reduces workload on the two oldest of the four men during the whole day. Still no interviews with Mr. Buffet since July 17th ["Buyback policy change" announcement date]?

Yes, that would seem to be the next logical step. I'm thinking it may happen as soon as the next AGM.

Guest longinvestor

As to the Q&A, it will take way more than two people to answer post current management. Some sort of meeting will happen! They don’t want to give up on all those dilly bar sales!

The biggest challenge to me would be writing that Chairman’s letter. That is a tough act!

I don't think he wants PR right now if he's looking to retire stock on the cheap. No upside to it.

As to the Q&A, it will take way more than two people to answer post current management. Some sort of meeting will happen! They don’t want to give up on all those dilly bar sales!

The biggest challenge to me would be writing that Chairman’s letter. That is a tough act!

I'm just thinking the time has come where they will start adding new people, along with WEB & CM,  to start preparing us for the inevitable.....

• 2 weeks later...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/expert-view/more-than-money-berkshires-todd-combs-coming-on-paytm-board-is-the-best-outcome-vijay-shekhar-sharma/articleshow/65578696.cms

Interview in the Economic Times, mentions that Todd Combs will join Paytm board.  Warren not involved at all, but did know enough about it to tell Masa at Sun Valley.  Tiny investment of course, but over time it does help to raise the profile internationally.

88 was right the first time.  He's also going to be on Bloomberg at 11:30am tomorrow, pre-taped I guess.

aws,

Desk test:

When you have just turned one year old, you have actually had two birthdays: The day of your birth, and the day when you turn the sharp corner of becoming one year old, on your way into the unknown territory of "your next year". - And so on for number of birthdays for every year, implying X+1 birthdays for every X years of age. [ ; - ) ]

Thanks for the links.  It does seem that the interviews took place in May at the Annual Meeting, or at least that is what she mentioned in her intro.

Looks like a new interview with Li Lu and Munger in China (although I am surprised Munger is still flying around the globe!)

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Hadn't noticed that Warren also did the Smith & Wollensky's segment with Liz Claman at FoxBusiness -

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5828934109001/?#sp=show-clips

and

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5828949631001/?#sp=show-clips

Topics covered include Tesla/Elon Musk "funding secured", ending the meetings with universities, his health, how he's feeling, etc