The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power - Daniel Yergin

Liberty

[amazonsearch]The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power[/amazonsearch]

For those interested in the history of the oil industry (from the 1850s onward).

I'm just a few hundred pages in, but so far it's excellent and I feel it deserves the Pulitzer that it received. Really interesting details about the early drillers, the first big gusher, how Standard Oil, Royal Dutch, Russian operations, the first pipelines and tankers, etc. What I find most fascinating is the various strategies and tactics used by the big players to get around one another and get an edge.

Thanks for sharing! Just ordered it!

I hope you enjoy it. Please share your thoughts here once you've read it, I'm curious to know what you think of it.

Will do. It may take a little while though. Just ordered a few other books too.  ;D

Will do. It may take a little while though. Just ordered a few other books too.  ;D

No worries, I know how that is :D

If you don't mind sharing, what other books did you order? I'm always looking for ideas for the 'to read' list. Thanks.

No worries, I know how that is :D

If you don't mind sharing, what other books did you order? I'm always looking for ideas for the 'to read' list. Thanks.

The other books I ordered:

1. The Warburgs: The Twentieth-Century Odyssey of a Remarkable Jewish Family - Ron Chernow

2. How to Lose $100,000,000 and Other Valuable Advice - Royal Little

3. The Art of Profitability - Adrian Slywotzky

I think all of them are recommendations from CoBF too. ;D

PS - I love Feynman's work too.

The other books I ordered:

1. The Warburgs: The Twentieth-Century Odyssey of a Remarkable Jewish Family - Ron Chernow

2. How to Lose $100,000,000 and Other Valuable Advice - Royal Little

3. The Art of Profitability - Adrian Slywotzky

I think all of them are recommendations from CoBF too. ;D

PS - I love Feynman's work too.

Good picks. Warburgs is on my list, as well as many other biographies by Chernow.

I've added the Little book to my list. Seems interesting.

I have Art of Profitability but haven't read it yet. Based on a recommendation from this board, of course!

Thanks for sharing.

Heard good things about the book, and I got it for only a penny on Amazon.  You should also check out Oil 101 by Morgan Downey.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Another that is on my list is The Frackers by Gregory Zuckerman.

The Frackers was good. I just finished a month or so ago. The story about the original fracking guys is awesome. They are serious entrepreneurs, who took huge risks and were rewarded very, very well. The only thing that bothered me was I noticed a number or grammatical errors in the first quarter of the book (not that I never make mistakes). The author is a NYT writer I believe. Those kinds of mistakes shouldn't be in a published book.

Heard good things about the book, and I got it for only a penny on Amazon.  You should also check out Oil 101 by Morgan Downey.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Another that is on my list is The Frackers by Gregory Zuckerman.

The Frackers was good. I just finished a month or so ago. The story about the original fracking guys is awesome. They are serious entrepreneurs, who took huge risks and were rewarded very, very well. The only thing that bothered me was I noticed a number or grammatical errors in the first quarter of the book (not that I never make mistakes). The author is a NYT writer I believe. Those kinds of mistakes shouldn't be in a published book.

He writes for the Wall Street Journal. I thought his other book The Greatest Trade Ever was also pretty good.