Why are Russian stocks so cheap?

rukawa

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's fun to guess whether he'd rather keep his balls, or billionaire friends  ;D

and i guess it's time for the answer to the topic:

-because russia is pretty unpredictable

Mildly off topic here.

Does Canada, or any other nation for that matter, placing sanctions on Russia matter to Russia?

Does it affect them or do they even care?

I can't help but think as the Harper/Baird duo sanction Russia that if Putin even notices, must just be shrugging his shoulders.

Surely Russia has its own maple syrup.  ;D

it's fun to guess whether he'd rather keep his balls, or billionaire friends  ;D

Mildly off topic here.

Does Canada, or any other nation for that matter, placing sanctions on Russia matter to Russia?

I can't help but think as the Harper/Baird duo sanction Russia that if Putin even notices, must just be shrugging his shoulders.

But I heard hockey pucks have tripled in price due to a shortage there. It is a little known fact that hockey pucks is one of canada's biggest exports around the world.

Mildly off topic here.

The only sanctions that will actually hurt the economy are those which impact trade with W. Europe, and Nat Gas specifically. That's really the only think Russia exports that isn't a fungible commodity.

The sanctions can make life for Putin's buddies less fun but who knows if that matters.

what about beef and milk products? 60% or so is imported. the people there have become accustomed to some sort of quality and i'm not sure they're willing to go back to goods produced in their own country  ;D

jouni - where did you get this interesting statistic? Also, while some people are accustomed to quality, I can tell you from first-hand observation that 99% of Russians don't get Finnish quality, and the 1% that does is likely too indebted to / scared of Putin to argue. The oil & gas exports are, undoubtedly, the main point as they constitute 70%+ of Russia's exports

i read it somewhere a while ago, can't remember where. quickly googling i found this:

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/290112/russia___talking_meat_imports.aspx

40% of the fish is norwegian. another interesting statistic :D they seem pretty dependent on western nations in a lot of areas.

edit: on the topic of gas, they just signed a 400 billion deal to sell gas to china. pipeline supposed to be up and running in 2018.

All good thoughts.

Wish me luck as I embark on my journey to sell hockey pucks to the Russians.  ;D

I had thought of it after but an extended family member is from Estonia.  I remember them saying after the fall of the USSR, their economy hit the skids since most of everything the Soviet regions on the west produced went into the rest of the Soviet Union.

I'm pretty sure he mostly works in Finland now.

i read it somewhere a while ago, can't remember where. quickly googling i found this:

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/290112/russia___talking_meat_imports.aspx

40% of the fish is norwegian. another interesting statistic :D they seem pretty dependent on western nations in a lot of areas.

edit: on the topic of gas, they just signed a 400 billion deal to sell gas to china. pipeline supposed to be up and running in 2018.

Thanks jouni1! Definitely something to think about, though I fear that Putin will not really be moved by the lack of steak ....

Hi Phil. Can you also buy South-Korean stocks through ING? I recently inquired to buy them through ING Belgium (and BNP and a few others) but they weren't able to buy individual stocks for me. :(

yes i can :). but only the gdr Shares which are a half of a preferred share, but it is the same share. i can only buy hyundai preferred gdr and Samsung preferred gdr share via ing. but thats ok for me. i hold both and think both are undervalued.

hmm sad that you cant buy them via ing belgium, the gdr Shares also not?

cheers phil

Might be possible to buy those but I mean other south korean stocks aside from those two. I'm not sure I can buy those two through IB either.

no others  i cant buy :/. i would buy lotte chilsung and Lg but cant, sad Story. may i have to open up a IB account too. if you have success with buying those via IB please contact me :)

thanks

phil

• 3 weeks later...