Adding a new business: investment newsletter

giofranchi

Gio - when you say 'manage their portfolios' - you aren't actually going to be managing their money right?  Just having them read your publication?  In the US it is very important to remain regulated as a 'general interest publication' as opposed to any type of investment advisory situation.  I don't know how the rules differ in Europe, but you can get in a lot of trouble here for giving individual investment advice through a newsletter type business.

Absolutely not! I will just write something like this:

Recommendation: Buy this stock below this price, or Sell that stock above that price.

Readers will then have to place their own orders with their own brokers.

Actually, I have always thought that a simple disclaimer, like the one Agora Financial uses (see attachment), might be enough to prevent any legal issue… But I am going to delve deeper into this and make sure I won’t run unforeseen risks.

Thank you very much! :)

giofranchi

Agora-Financial-Disclaimer.bmp

Gio - when you say 'manage their portfolios' - you aren't actually going to be managing their money right?  Just having them read your publication?  In the US it is very important to remain regulated as a 'general interest publication' as opposed to any type of investment advisory situation.  I don't know how the rules differ in Europe, but you can get in a lot of trouble here for giving individual investment advice through a newsletter type business.

Absolutely not! I will just write something like this:

Recommendation: Buy this stock below this price, or Sell that stock above that price.

Readers will then have to place their own orders with their own brokers.

Actually, I have always thought that a simple disclaimer, like the one Agora Financial uses (see attachment), might be enough to prevent any legal issue… But I am going to delve deeper into this and make sure I won’t run unforeseen risks.

Thank you very much! :)

giofranchi

Interesting statement.  If I read it correctly, they prohibit outside writers and consultants from having a financial interest in any company they write about or recommend, but not employees of their company or its affiliates.  These, apparently can trade any security after waiting 24 hours from the time the initial recommendation was posted on the Internet. I'm not familiar with how they do this in practice.  How big is their recommended list across all their publications? Do they write follow up articles on the stocks they recommend?

Interesting statement.  If I read it correctly, they prohibit outside writers and consultants from having a financial interest in any company they write about or recommend, but not employees of their company or its affiliates.  These, apparently can trade any security after waiting 24 hours from the time the initial recommendation was posted on the Internet. I'm not familiar with how they do this in practice.  How big is their recommended list across all their publications? Do they write follow up articles on the stocks they recommend?

Sincerely, I have no idea… The disclaimer was just meant as an example… And of course I will be investing in exactly the same companies I recommend!

I guess the part of the disclaimer we will probably share is the following:

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. While carefully screened, the accuracy of this information cannot be guaranteed. Signed articles represent the opinions of the authors and not necessarily those of the editors. Neither the publisher nor the editor is a registered investment adviser. Readers should carefully review investment prospectuses, when available, and should consult investment counsel before investing.

Anyway, these are busy days and I haven’t find the time to check it out yet… But I will surely do as soon as possible! :)

giofranchi