Tech Threads Proposal

VAL9000
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hamsterdam baby!

LOL - this way Parsad can't give us a Time Out cause that's "contrapment".

Hehe!

We're some smart-ass pawns!

I recently had an idea for forums in general, but I doubt it would be easily implemented.  Basically, I was wondering how to deal with forums that get larger and larger with increasing posts per day.  An interesting feature would be the ability to get the highlights from a thread.  e.g., if someone wanted to read the BAC thread fresh, be able to condense it down to a smaller, and more useful, number of posts.  Here was my thought:

1) implement a thumbs up on a per post basis--that way people could upvote posts as being particularly useful.  (Downvotes optional)

2) then when you view a thread, there could be a feature to condense the thread, which would filter based on upvoted comments.  For example, you could ask for the top 50%, 60, 70, 80, etc. of the comments. 

Then, people could choose whether to view threads in condensed formats or full content, depending on their preference.  You also still get to keep everything in date order and in the thread format, which is better than the reddit/digg style threads, whose content moves down based on age or isn't date sorted.

Kind of a hybrid format, that is optional to implement from the user side.

Not a bad idea in general but maybe not for this forum. Things shouldn't be made too easy for readers. This communtity is extremely rewarding if you put in the effort to track many topics and posters over the years.

We already have newer members asking others to summarize whole topics (see shld thread for an example) with tons of information à la "should I short this stock or go long?".

Adding easy shortcuts on what are already in fact summarizations of investment theses etc would only attract a crowd that isn't willing to do at least some decent DD imo.

Guest longinvestor

I think we should leave everything the way it is, I think the complaining about the tech threads is getting as tiring as the tech threads themselves.

+1

I've been chewing on what exactly "tech" is,

- Stock symbol has 4 letters. I'm still trying to come to grips with how IBM is non "Tech", yeah yeah, I know, they are a services company and Berkshire owns it. But tech to me is clearly a four letter word.

- The tech company my money is in makes no dough now or in the past but will rule the planet for all time to come. Like CSCO's growth projection of 33% into perpetuity (circa 1999)

- Everyone who owns a tech gadget(AAPL) is an expert on how the competitor is doomed for good. (BBRY). Anyone who owns that is an idiot. 

- I spend about $50 per month on all tech things I own and $600 on my car, $ 800 on gas and insurance, $ 1000 on food, $2000 on my mortgage...etc. But who the hell cares about revenues. We are about to change the world order with our tech

- Clearly Dow Chemicals or Monsanto or GE or Boeing ...are low tech, while every 4 letter co is of course hi tech!