Trading halted

Grenville

That's a relief Palantir!  I thought it might have been my fault.  I requested certificate registration of 1000 shares of a less-traded stock.  Maybe they've had to shut down the exchange traffic for a while, to look under the rugs to find some shares.  ::)

Liberty

King of the Club is good but not exceptional. But its a good story and I did not read its per say i listened on my 12 h drive yesterday :D But very good at understanding how the exchanges work and puts another perspective on floor traders and stuff :D

Liberty

King of the Club is good but not exceptional. But its a good story and I did not read its per say i listened on my 12 h drive yesterday :D But very good at understanding how the exchanges work and puts another perspective on floor traders and stuff :D

That sounds good to me. I'd love to better understand how the exchange works/worked and what it's like to be there. I know I'll never work there, but I still find that culture interesting (in the same way that I'd love to read about what it's like to work on an aircraft carrier or whatever).

Lately I've been reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (great so far!), Sam Walton: Made in America, and re-reading There's Always Something to do (Cundill). Next on the list are Pour Your Heart Into It and The Art of Profitability. After that I'll probably get King of the Club..

Ok we are diverting from the subject, but Liberty, from your various posts, I understand you read a lot, but I was wondering, do you read pure fiction also, or nottime for that? :)

Just curious, thanks.

Hey Jeff (Mori's for Morin, right? :) ),

I started out reading 95%+ fiction (except for school textbooks and such), and now I'm probably 95%+ non-fiction.

I've kept a list of all the books I've read since I was maybe 16, and it starts out with authors like Douglas Adam, Frank Hebert, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Joe Haldeman, Franz Kafka, Gore Vidal, Vladimir Nabokov, Arthur Miller, Iain M. Banks, Christopher Priest, John Fowles, James Branch Cabell, Steven Pressfield, Alexandre Jardin, Spider Robinson, Mikhail Bulgakov, George Bernard Shaw, Haruki Murakami, Hector Berlioz (his memoirs are great), Charles Bukowski, etc, etc..

And then progressively it turns into Richard Dawkins, Stephen Johnson, Tim Flannery, William McDonough, Daniel Gilbert, Christopher Alexander, Michael Pollan, Yvon Chouinard, William Manchester, Bill Bryson, Dan and Chip Heath, Walter Isaacson, E.B. Sledge, Bruce Schneier, Richard P. Feynman, Thomas C. Schelling, Edmund Morris, Josh Waitzkin, Christopher Hitchens, Steven Pinker, Stephen Ambrose, K. Eric Drexler, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Benjamin Graham, Andy Hertzfeld, some textbooks (molecular biology of the cell, MIT encyclopedia of neuroscience, etc), etc, etc.

So there's been kind of a phase change at some point. I still think that good fiction can be a lot more than entertainment; a way to learn about human nature and the human condition and to live things that we'll never live, often in worlds that don't exist. But in practice, I almost don't read any these days. I kind of wish I did, but I can't force it... Maybe I'll get back into it at some point.

You have any good fiction to recommend?  :D

No Mori7 is for Morisette!

Thanks for the list, I was reading a lot of Sci-Fi too when I was younger. I don't read that much non-fiction, but you provide a good list, I will look forward into some of those names.

Iain M. Banks just died this spring, it's really sad because he was a truly unique author.

Good fiction to recommend..I should start a new thread I think. I'll come back to that later!