The 100k Cash question

CONeal

1) Invest in Coke and hookers

2) Lending Club

3) Apartment

1.) Thats a lot of hookers. Better to open up a brothel and scale it up to niche areas where brothels are non-existent.

2.)  Maybe financing small business's would work. ROIC make have to be stellar to make it interesting. 1-2 small business's max with 100k.

3.)  Can throw down 100k and get a 400k mortage and buy some rental units. Or a luxury condo in the city.

I'm pretty surprised.  Normally by now the response "hookers and blow" to a question like this would have appeared.

LOL!  He said he can't "spend it on shit", otherwise that would have been said already.  Cheers!

One could use the $100K to acquire industrial quantities of cheerios, then "convert" them to higher and better use by selling them as donut seeds.

LOL!  You should probably do that on eBay...put them in small little trademarked baggies and sell them.  I bet you make a killing.  Cheers!

Good Question:

RE Tax Liens - I did very well in this area with my home state of Michigan until they changed the laws, I would start looking at another state

Invest alongside of some locals who are launching franchises in the Emerging markets of South Africa (why there, because I have the best connections)

Slightly different take on Sanjeev's answer I would provide seed capital to selected entrepreneurs who are developing ideas through the Entrepreneurship program at my local University where I teach and mentor the students through the development of their ideas.

Other then that I periodically get opportunities to lend money out with good assets backing the note for 8%+ interest, but I don't know how to find those situations on a regular basis.

Again a good question that made me think.

Hmmm:

$100k?  That is larger than a small amount, and bigger than a tiny amount.  You are in kind of weird position...

Not enough to buy most established businesses OR to buy a smaller franchise...

One of the things I would look to do is maybe invest in precious metals.

SPECIFICALLY, I would go around to the "We buy Gold" places that are independent dealers and introduce myself and say that I buy primarily silver & silver coins, and I'll buy in small quantities and pay more than the refiner.  I would also buy gold coins & high end gold jewelry, pay them more than the refiner...but just barely.  I would stress that I come running with CASH, so it is easier to deal with me than the refiner.  You also have to have a certain minimum amount to make it economically feasible to go to a refiner...deal in amounts smaller than that.

Once you get the metals, sell it online in small quantities to retail investors.  Have a target of maybe 12% net on silver coins...there is a HUGE market out there of people that want to buy $50 or $100 worth of silver coins at a time.  They will pay high prices simply to have it in their possession.  If you could get enough supply, you could EASILY sell $10k a week.  Over time, I bet you could sell more.

The key would be turning it very, very quickly.  You would not want to be exposed too much to commodity swings.  If you are selling $10k+ a week, you would be turning your inventory quick.

You can also make money on the gold coins, but the margins are thinner and the dollar amounts much larger.

I have personally made some money by buying USA gold coins for a bit above spot....and then selling them to collectors.  I've bought several coins that had about 1/4 oz. of gold in them from the 1840's, 1850's, 1880's etc.  They aren't really highly collectible, BUT they do have some minor collector value. I bought them for about $400 a piece and then I sold them for about $500 a piece, so that was a nice 20% margin.  These were good deals, and the gold margins are typically much less, likely 10% or even less.  HOWEVER, if you can buy $3,000 of gold and make a quick 5% or 6%, not too bad for an hour or two of work.

Another way to make money doing this is to contact attorneys who do estate planning.  They know families who have inherited coin collections and are looking to liquidate them.  If you have CASH IN HAND, and can do a deal in a few days, you can get some very good deals this way.

So if you could do $10k a week in silver, maybe $3-4k a week in gold coins, and then $1k in other collectible type stuff (rare silver dollars & such), I think that would be a good use for $100k.

Guest deepValue

(1) Buy valueinvestingnews.com

(2) Make a deal with Jacob Wolinsky to shut down valuewalk and break news and hf letters on your website (without the crappy 'journalism' at valuewalk)

(3) hire Ravi from Rational Walk, Geoff Gannon, Nate Tobik, and other bloggers to fill the gap between breaking news

You should be able to keep this up for a year or two before running out of money. In the meantime, we'll all have a great source for value investing news.

(1) Buy valueinvestingnews.com

(2) Make a deal with Jacob Wolinsky to shut down valuewalk and break news and hf letters on your website (without the crappy 'journalism' at valuewalk)

(3) hire Ravi from Rational Walk, Geoff Gannon, Nate Tobik, and other bloggers to fill the gap between breaking news

You should be able to keep this up for a year or two before running out of money. In the meantime, we'll all have a great source for value investing news.

That's a good idea!  Why don't I do it here instead.  I'm revamping the homepage, and I could profile a couple of articles a week from any interested party that wants to write...fund managers, analysts, bloggers, Ericopoly!  Cheers!

Question - do you intend to be an active owner/operator or would this be a passive investment?  I think that makes a big difference in your options but here are a couple of ideas for both. 

Active

Turn one of your hobbies into a business.  Sell online, at conventions, other distribution channels etc. Example, my nephew knows "board games" he buys at yard sales, goodwill stores, etc and sells online.

Find an older guy/gal with niche business looking to retire buy out with training period.

Become a locksmith and hang out a shingle - work your own hours

Learn about precious stones. Go on a hunting collecting vacation and bring 'em home to sell.

Open a halloween haunt - I'm looking for partners. (active or passive)

Passive

Find a business operator that doesn't have startup capital. He runs the business and gets a salary you own the business and take the profits - need good controls to keep from getting ripped off. I've considered a used car lot. Would also save $ on my auto purchases and use, which could add up to quite a bit.

Find several other investors and start a larger business than you could on your own. Be the general partner with 51%+ ownership / control. Car wash, heat n air service, etc. Look for unmet demand.

Buy four $25k pieces of art you like - buy, hold and enjoy.

FYI. All my adult life I have owned sideline businesses. Made $ on all of them, but some were definitely better than others. Now that I'm retired from my day job I have had the opportunity to get involved in many more. I'm currently a financial copywriter, run a costume/magic/tux rental shop, (my wife rents fine linens for weddings) I have the Halloween Express franchise for our city. I am a part owner in a taco shop in a college town. I started it and sold 3/4 to my managers (never should have given up more than 51%). I have a commercial website that could be a huge business (similar public company does $300M) but I have not been able to get traction with it - needs more time and $ than I want to contribute at the current time. Would like to start a Halloween haunt in the area - goes with costume shop, Halloween Express, etc. and could produce great returns. Would need investors to properly scale the business. That's a way to say I'm too old to risk the $ on my own.

My suggestion is to throw something on the wall and if it sticks great.  If not, try again! As I said some things work out better than others!

Question - do you intend to be an active owner/operator or would this be a passive investment?  I think that makes a big difference in your options but here are a couple of ideas for both. 

Active

Turn one of your hobbies into a business.  Sell online, at conventions, other distribution channels etc. Example, my nephew knows "board games" he buys at yard sales, goodwill stores, etc and sells online.

Find an older guy/gal with niche business looking to retire buy out with training period.

Learn about precious stones. Go on a hunting collecting vacation and bring 'em home to sell.

Passive

Find a business operator that doesn't have startup capital. He runs the business and gets a salary you own the business and take the profits - need good controls to keep from getting ripped off. I've considered a used car lot. Would also save $ on my auto purchases and use, which could add up to quite a bit.

Find several other investors and start a larger business than you could on your own. Be the general partner with 51%+ ownership / control. Car wash, heat n air service, etc. Look for unmet demand.

FYI. All my adult life I have owned sideline businesses. Made $ on all of them, but some were definitely better than others. Now that I'm retired from my day job I have had the opportunity to get involved in many more. I'm currently a financial copywriter, run a costume/magic/tux rental shop, (my wife rents fine linens for weddings) I have the Halloween Express franchise for our city. I am a part owner in a taco shop in a college town. I started it and sold 3/4 to my managers (never should have given up more than 51%). I have a commercial website that could be a huge business (similar public company does $300M) but I have not been able to get traction with it - needs more time and $ than I want to contribute at the current time. Would like to start a Halloween haunt in the area - goes with costume shop, Halloween Express, etc. and could produce great returns. Would need investors to properly scale the business. That's a way to say I'm too old to risk the $ on my own.

My suggestion is to throw something on the wall and if it sticks great.  If not, try again! As I said some things work out better than others!

Hi Eric,

Great post. I couldnt agree more about keeping the internal controls tight running a passive business. Three months ago i hired a operator for my wellness office.  I'm at the office two days a week instead of five like before. I'm using buffet's management style by letting the operator report to me. Basically giving him total freedom in operating the business and how he trains the staff. I'm there to pay all expenses and bascially market the office. The question i have is when does giving equity of the business come into play? We dont have a set time where equity is given. Should i wait for him to bring it up? My plan is to try and scale this thing up and the way its going ( knock on wood) i should have another office up and running in late 2013- to early 2014. My plan is to give him 15 percent of total profits of the next office for managing and training the other doctor we would have to hire for the other office. My thinking is if i give him 15 percent he is not going to want any equity. The 15 percent would be passive income for him and hopefully he is going to stay around. He is a talented operator and i dont want him to get bored.  Since you are experienced in running passive business's i love to hear your take on this.

Guest deepValue

Active

Passive

Hi Eric,

Great post. I couldnt agree more about keeping the internal controls tight running a passive business. Three months ago i hired a operator for my wellness office.  I'm at the office two days a week instead of five like before. I'm using buffet's management style by letting the operator report to me. Basically giving him total freedom in operating the business and how he trains the staff. I'm there to pay all expenses and bascially market the office. The question i have is when does giving equity of the business come into play? We dont have a set time where equity is given. Should i wait for him to bring it up? My plan is to try and scale this thing up and the way its going ( knock on wood) i should have another office up and running in late 2013- to early 2014. My plan is to give him 15 percent of total profits of the next office for managing and training the other doctor we would have to hire for the other office. My thinking is if i give him 15 percent he is not going to want any equity. The 15 percent would be passive income for him and hopefully he is going to stay around. He is a talented operator and i dont want him to get bored.  Since you are experienced in running passive business's i love to hear your take on this.

Read How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis. Pay your managers well, give them large bonuses for a job well done, but don't give up one shred of equity.

Deep makes a good point - no equity...but I think "it depends".  At the taco shop I was leaving town. Graduated with my MBA and was moving to a "real job". So I felt my interests were best served with the managers owning and running the business.  It worked for about ten years. Then they stopped sharing the profits, choosing to pay themselves so there weren't any profits. Kinda ungrateful if you ask me, but it is what is it.  The comment to me was you already got back many times your investment...I don't think they understand capitalism. But it worked-they had skin in the game and the business is still there 30+ years later and I'm proud to be an owner.

I think sharing in the profits is a great way to go...giving equity only if the situation requires it. If you give equity having a mandatory buy-sell agreement should be part of the deal. The agreement provides a way to handle a departing minority owner and helps to value the business if it is required.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with your expansion plans.  I hope you have good internal controls at the payment desk. I've known several physicians who were robbed blind by the bookkeeper...and none of them pressed charges...I think because they were too embarrassed to admit it!

Deep makes a good point - no equity...but I think "it depends".  At the taco shop I was leaving town. Graduated with my MBA and was moving to a "real job". So I felt my interests were best served with the managers owning and running the business.  It worked for about ten years. Then they stopped sharing the profits, choosing to pay themselves so there weren't any profits. Kinda ungrateful if you ask me, but it is what is it.  The comment to me was you already got back many times your investment...I don't think they understand capitalism. But it worked-they had skin in the game and the business is still there 30+ years later and I'm proud to be an owner.

I think sharing in the profits is a great way to go...giving equity only if the situation requires it. If you give equity having a mandatory buy-sell agreement should be part of the deal. The agreement provides a way to handle a departing minority owner and helps to value the business if it is required.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with your expansion plans.  I hope you have good internal controls at the payment desk. I've known several physicians who were robbed blind by the bookkeeper...and none of them pressed charges...I think because they were too embarrassed to admit it!

Okay great everything is cleared up for me! I wanted to be emotionally prepared if the operator asks me for equity. If the operator asks for equity the gameplan would be to give him a fair percent and within "x" timeframe he buys my stake out after the business is appraised. The given equity can be framed as "sweat" equity cause he built up the business. I would prefer if we can partner up and scale this thing but, its really his choice. I cant scale this thing without him cause he is an extremely motivated and talented operator.  I'm laser focused on the bookkeeping and most of our funds are from insurance and credit/debit charges. The cash part is a concern though. The bookkeeper can easily say "x" paid with a credit card and not cash. Then pocket the cash because credit/debit charges are one lump sum deposited in the business account. 

Hopefully one day soon I will open some business on the side thinking along the way of silent partner deals.

However, what have been brought up is they can just pay a high salary and squeeze the minority shareholder out. We will see :D

I'll post when that day comes up and hope for some good ideas.