Kass: Rabbi and the Oracle

Vish_ram

Is it just a coincidence that the people who invested their life savings with Buffett during the early years never splurged and led a simple life?

Contrast this with lottery winners, a bulk of them declare bankruptcy after few years

First one, i dont think there was any restriction on investing in HF like it is now. I think if you want to invest in an Investment partnership now, you need to have $1mm or high earner. During 50s-60s, i guess you would these middle class earners as your clients.

Second, lottery winners dont earn money over time like buffett's clients. Plus there is survivorship bias with buffett's investors. I am sure there are so many who held BRK for couple of years and sold it for various reasons.

Is it just a coincidence that the people who invested their life savings with Buffett during the early years never splurged and led a simple life?

Contrast this with lottery winners, a bulk of them declare bankruptcy after few years

First one, i dont think there was any restriction on investing in HF like it is now. I think if you want to invest in an Investment partnership now, you need to have $1mm or high earner. During 50s-60s, i guess you would these middle class earners as your clients.

Second, lottery winners dont earn money over time like buffett's clients. Plus there is survivorship bias with buffett's investors. I am sure there are so many who held BRK for couple of years and sold it for various reasons.

Of course, calculating inflation that 70k then is like 500k today.