Investment ideas presented at Value Investing Conference

racemize

Hi all, I'm attending the Value Investing Conference before the Berkshire meeting this year, and thought I would post some ideas that presenters have discussed (so far, we have heard from Tom Russo, Mario Gabelli, Jeff Matthews, and Ivan Martin-Aranguez). 

I really enjoyed Tom Russo's and Mario Gebelli's talks.  Here are a few ideas I jotted down that were mentioned:

From Iberian Peninsula:

Sempapa (100% upside)

Gas Natural

Baron de Ley

Mentioned by Gabelli (he talks really fast, also pretty funny):

NFG

Liberty Media

kinv'b - sev

fiat

trx

many others that he went too fast for (a lot of shale gas affiliate companies)

I'll try to jot down ideas from other presentations tomorrow as well.

From Lauren Templeton fund:

Brink (Money transport) based on emerging market and developed market increase in velocity of money (showed that money is currently not released by banks with thesis that it will eventually normalize)

CP Foods -  based on increase protein consumption in emerging markets (after stripping out holding), currently depressed due to recent outbreak of EMS disease/bird flu in China

Bob has been pitching that for quite some time now.

Btw, did the presenters share the outlook and risks for FIATY and BCO's.

I researched Brink about a year back and think they have a decent moat and solid US and International operations, but haven't followed it since. May have to wait for it to get cheaper.

Bob has been pitching that for quite some time now.

Btw, did the presenters share the outlook and risks for FIATY and BCO's.

I researched Brink about a year back and think they have a decent moat and solid US and International operations, but haven't followed it since. May have to wait for it to get cheaper.

FIATY went by really really fast (Mario was moving through a 175 slide presentation and he only mentioned it offhandedly)

For BCO, the major thesis was that it was tied to the velocity of money and is currently in a cyclical downturn, which should turn whenever velocity picks up.  In addition, they have a lot of foreign exposure that the presenter liked.  I have trouble remembering much else at this point (I'm fairly exhausted).

• 2 weeks later...