Why Paulson's Results Are So Crappy!

Parsad

Because he hired Alan Greenspan as an advisor!  ;D  Cheers!

Gold remains a long-term position for Mr. Paulson. In 2008 he hired Alan Greenspan, former chairman of the Federal Reserve and a fellow alumnus of New York University's Stern business school, as an advisor.

According to people familiar with the fund, Mr. Greenspan argued that the huge expansion of the Fed's balance sheet would ultimately lead to rapid growth in credit creation by the banks, sparking higher inflation.

I wonder how Gary Shilling feels about Paulson now. Did he ever get his money out? His most recent book says he had an 11x return in Paulson's fund. Hope he moved on...

Gary actually came to our dinner with Prem this year.  Cheers!

I wonder how Gary Shilling feels about Paulson now. Did he ever get his money out? His most recent book says he had an 11x return in Paulson's fund. Hope he moved on...

Gary actually came to our dinner with Prem this year.  Cheers!

Too bad I didn't go because he didn't reply to the email I sent him.  I got an auto-reply offering a subscription to his newsletter.

I wanted to ask him why he expects a reversion to the mean of home ownership rates when the population demographics are changing.  The homeownership rate for people in the highest bracket is 80+%.  And in all the brackets below age 55, the rates of homeownership are actually below the mean.

So you can see where this is headed if there is mean reversion -> higher ownership rates.

It's like he's arguing that the population is older today than it was 5 years ago, so mean reversion would suggest that boomers are going to start getting younger to normalize things. 

Maybe Shilling is going to be younger next year?

EDIT:  If it wasn't clear, Shilling thinks home ownership rates are still too high and will fall back to "the mean" level. 

Too bad I didn't go because he didn't reply to the email I sent him.

Actually when are you going to come?  Alot of people were asking if you were coming this year.  I said I don't think so, but we're all waiting for him to show up one year!  Cheers!

Actually when are you going to come?  Alot of people were asking if you were coming this year.  I said I don't think so, but we're all waiting for him to show up one year!  Cheers!

Two years ago I had surgery on April 4th.  Didn't walk again for a couple of months.

Last year we were in California house hunting April 1-15th.

This year I turned 40 on April 10th (day of the meeting)

Perhaps the right time will come along.

Two years ago I had surgery on April 4th.  Didn't walk again for a couple of months.

I think you should make some time and come next year.  I'd like you to present and do a short Q&A if you are up for it.  Cheers!

I think you should make some time and come next year.  I'd like you to present and do a short Q&A if you are up for it.  Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHuRusAlw-Y

Except instead of young women screaming and losing their minds, it'll be middle-aged balding finance geeks (I can say that because I'm one of them)...

Toronto is a good place to spend you 41st birthday.

Toronto is a good place to spend you 41st birthday.

Eric, if you come I promise to have a birthday cake ready for you as well.  The whole crowd will sing Happy Birthday!  ;D  Cheers!