"Betting on the Market" (Frontline, 1997)

Liberty

There is a powerful scene where the wife is staring at the floorplans of her dream home while murmuring, "Isn't it wonderful?" Later, she puts her family's net worth into two stocks, the names of which she can't recall. Less explicit versions of that cautionary tale effect even experienced investors.

There is a powerful scene where the wife is staring at the floorplans of her dream home while murmuring, "Isn't it wonderful?" Later, she puts her family's net worth into two stocks, the names of which she can't recall. Less explicit versions of that cautionary tale effect even experienced investors.

That was painful to watch--even if those two stocks worked out, I doubt they would stop until it all came crashing down...

• 2 weeks later...

That was painful to watch--even if those two stocks worked out, I doubt they would stop until it all came crashing down...

According to the comments section in YouTube, one of the stocks mentioned was AMLN, which went from $14 down to $0.43 by the end of 1998. Ouch.

But I agree that some people have that gambling instinct that makes them go for the "double or nothing" option over and over again until they have nothing.

• 6 years later...