OT: Fox News to Shut Down at 11:30

Guest kumar

I don't see why Stevie Wonder could not get a gun to defend himself. Have you ever seen Bloodsport?  ;D

I did not think that this thread would turn into gun control, but some seem to like the topic. Anyway, IMO, this gun control debate has two parts:

1- Significantly reduce the access to semi-automatic, large magazines weapons or the typical weapons used in mass shootings.

2- Reducing the death rate by guns in the U.S. which comes largely from hand guns during various altercations such as domestic violence and crimes.

So addressing Newtown via gun control should be done mainly by reducing the access to military style weapons and IMO, the NRA should not have that much of an issue with it. Although, as I have mentioned previously, we have serious control over these weapons in Quebec and still had many mass shootings with these. Some dismissed that fact, but other incidents have happened worldwide, so it is more than just a statistical outlier. So, it is a step forward, but not an all inclusive solution.

Regarding hand guns, they could also be used for mass shootings since many of them are semi-automatic. However, the problem using these for mass shooters is the lack of a large magazine and their imprecision. I don't think that they create either the kind of power trip that these idiots seek when they go on a rampage with a machine gun style weapon. Moreover, if you start preventing the access to regular hand guns, then you get right into the #2 amendment which makes it near impossible to pass into law IMO.

So sure, removing the access to hand guns would likely reduce the death rate in the U.S. by a lot. At the same time, I do feel compassion for guys like Ericopoly and rkbabang who carry such weapon to defend themselves against criminals and are unlikely to ever fire it on a human being. It becomes very hard to decide who should have one and who shouldn't. A much broader solution would be to find a solution to make U.S. cities much safer. Reducing the poverty and unemployment rate in the inner cities would certainly reduce crime significantly and would be much more moral than just going after hand guns.

Cardboard

There is also a large cultural component to violence.  Many people like to point to homicide statistics between the US and the UK and make a correlation between the current gun laws and the current homicide rates forgetting that correlation doesn't equal causation.  What you find if you look at the statistics over time is that 1) the UK always had a much much lower homicide rate than the US even back when neither country had any gun laws to speak of.  And 2) the UK's rate is much higher today than earlier in the last century when it had no gun laws to speak of.  You could take that data and conclude that all else being equal gun laws increase violence.  Statistics can be used to prove just about anything as the IE vs homicide rate chart shows.  Again correlation doesn't imply causation.

http://i.imgur.com/47D7zGq.png

No I completely understand the corelation  between IE and the murder rate. IE like all MSFT software with its propesity to freeze and crash has made me want to go postal on numerous occasions.

I don't see why Stevie Wonder could not get a gun to defend himself. Have you ever seen Bloodsport?  ;D

I can't believe I actually know what you are referring to.  They don't make them like Jean Claude Van Damme anymore.

Don't mess with me, I'm a Kumite champion.

I can't believe I actually know what you are referring to.  They don't make them like Jean Claude Van Damme anymore.

He was actually pretty good as the bad guy in Expendables 2.  Yes, I did actually see that movie!  Cheers!

Chong Li!!  Chong Li!!  Chong Li!!  The way he gets those pecs flexing with those crazy eyes as he stalks the arena is an amazing piece of acting.