National Oilwell Varco

giofranchi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on their prelim filing numbers, spin-off might trade anywhere between 17 and 22 per share, but all depends on the multiple the market is willing to give this business given that its a low margin business.

2013 Pre-Tax Income: 224 mn

BV: 1802 mn

Goodwill: 333mn

Intangibles: 68mn

TBV: 1401 mn

ROE (Tangible) : 15.98%

Should be interesting to watch, anyone else took a look at numbers?

Based on their prelim filing numbers, spin-off might trade anywhere between 17 and 22 per share, but all depends on the multiple the market is willing to give this business given that its a low margin business.

2013 Pre-Tax Income: 224 mn

BV: 1802 mn

Goodwill: 333mn

Intangibles: 68mn

TBV: 1401 mn

ROE (Tangible) : 15.98%

Should be interesting to watch, anyone else took a look at numbers?

I didn't have time yet (and do hold shares in NOV). Is it a moatless commodity business they're spinning off?

I bought NOV for the business with the huge moat in providing drilling equipment to oil companies. I believe this is all retained in the parent company?

it's the distribution parts. meaning distribution as in distributing the parts to the people who need them. keeping stock and serving customers. a bit like ww grainger or wesco international/aircraft.

Thanks for mentioning the comparable businesses. Looks like these businesses have moats from scale and network effects the size of which will large determine the valuation. Interesting I would have imagined this business to be more commoditized.

Thanks again!

it's also fun to think about buying a distributor with different products/industries targeted. the added network can be used to distribute existing product lines also.

i like them both. probably going to even them out after the spin if valuations stay reasonable.

I didn't have time yet (and do hold shares in NOV). Is it a moatless commodity business they're spinning off?

I worked briefly in the oil industry and my father managed a gas plant. It is definitely not a moatless business. If your gas plant is down for a week because your supplier doesn't have a $10 part in stock, it will cost you millions of dollars. My father's plant consolidated all of their business on NOV. I believe that they entered a multi-year supply agreement. This was in the 1990s, so I would have to look at it more detail before I would be comfortable investing.

• 8 months later...