LUX - 60 Minutes Profile

petey2720

I remember looking into this company a few years ago.  One would think that they would earn a lot.  They do ok, but certainly do not earn "monopoly returns".  The reason is largely because they don't own the underlying brands and therefore have to pay fat sums to those companies to license the name for use on their glasses.  Also, these licensing agreements are renewed every few years and the cost can be increased. 

I remember looking into this company a few years ago.  One would think that they would earn a lot.  They do ok, but certainly do not earn "monopoly returns".  The reason is largely because they don't own the underlying brands and therefore have to pay fat sums to those companies to license the name for use on their glasses.  Also, these licensing agreements are renewed every few years and the cost can be increased.

They have cocaine gross margins to end up with just OK returns. Now, you would think that with those gross margins there would be disruption opportunities if you can bypass their retail dominance. There is no clear and present danger but …

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/22/business/worldbusiness/22iht-spec-web.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I was thinking the same think last month when I bought my mom  new eyeglasses with progressive lens.It was expensive and what I bought is just a low-end lens. The high-end lens costs 10x more.  Essilor and Hoya are a dominate brand in my country for an optical lens.  Essilor also has a larger market capitalization than LUX .

Guest rimm_never_sleeps

You should buy from WarbyParker. It;s like Zappos for glasses. $100 for nice looking frames+lenses, and very convenient.

zappos has a different model. WP looks to have a private label glasses business. zappos is a retailer that sells many many brands and many categories of product.