long run success of value portfolios

ERICOPOLY

He retained his interest after Geico's IPO a few months later.  26 years later, his stock was worth more than 100 times what he paid for it.  :)

Was he still holding it when it became nearly worthless?  I remember seeing an interview of Prem and somebody asked Prem if Ben still held the bag and Prem didn't know.  Is there a public record of this?

The price of the stock got down to $2.00 a share through mismanagement, but the intrinsic value of the business was still intact, although the balance sheet was shot.  Warren got it recapitalized and the shareholders took a 50% or so haircut.  Then, it popped up to $10 or so, about the time Ben Died in 1976.  I'm fairly sure Ben's estate got more out of it than the low point price.  If I had to hazard a guess, the stock may still have been about a 50 to 100 bagger by the time his estate was settled.  Why don't you ask Warren?  He was the executor of Ben's estate.  :)

Tweedy has a report on www.tweedy.com "What has worked in Investing", I believe, detailing outperformance of low price to book value picks.  Before they ran mutual funds (which are highly diversified, and TBGVX, which I once owned, is currency-hedged as well), they ran managed accounts, and I don't know that the managed accounts track record is publicly available.

I don't know if it is in any filings anywhere, but I've got a copy of "The Rediscovered Ben Graham" and I just went back and looked at a couple of articles in it.  According to what I am reading he was out of Geico before it had all the problems.  In fact in one interview from 1974 they revealed that he didn't invest in stocks at all anymore.

If I had to hazard a guess, the stock may still have been about a 50 to 100 bagger by the time his estate was settled.  Why don't you ask Warren?  He was the executor of Ben's estate.  :)

I'm not sure of the year in which the estate was settled, but let's say it was 1976 -- so that makes it a 28 year holding.

15% annualized if a 50 bagger

18% annualized if a 100 bagger