Buffett on Bloomberg TV with Betty Liu on for 2 hours beginning now ...

kiwing100

Started reading Biography of a Bank. Enjoying it so far, just 70 pages in. I liked this quote:

"At thirty-one A.P. Giannini had formulated the philosophy concerning the accumulation of personal wealth that he was to carry through life. "I don't want to be rich," he said. "No man actually owns a fortune; it owns him."

p.9 (1954 edition)

Started reading Biography of a Bank. Enjoying it so far, just 70 pages in. I liked this quote:

"At thirty-one A.P. Giannini had formulated the philosophy concerning the accumulation of personal wealth that he was to carry through life. "I don't want to be rich," he said. "No man actually owns a fortune; it owns him."

p.9 (1954 edition)

I just ordered my copy. I look foward to it.

Thanks.

p.9 (1954 edition)

I just ordered my copy. I look foward to it.

Thanks.

I haven't read the book.  I did think it worthwhile to mention in case people don't know that Bank of America as it stands today really only shares a name with the Bank of America written about in that book.  Today's Bank of America is the old Nationsbank out of Charlotte.  Once they took over BA in 1998 the entire culture and spirt of the bank changed.  So while the book may be interesting (it probably is), it isn't going to really give any clues as to where the present day Bank of America is going.

I haven't read the book.  I did think it worthwhile to mention in case people don't know that Bank of America as it stands today really only shares a name with the Bank of America written about in that book.  Today's Bank of America is the old Nationsbank out of Charlotte.  Once they took over BA in 1998 the entire culture and spirt of the bank changed.  So while the book may be interesting (it probably is), it isn't going to really give any clues as to where the present day Bank of America is going.

Thanks for mentioning that bit. I am enjoying the story about A.P. Giannini and his acumen as an entrepreneur and businessman.

Strange enough, I got the book for 6 dollars with shipping. The second link below however turns up another set of (higher) prices. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GK212E/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1587981459/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_all?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=

Thanks for the link Matt ... and if you could tell us what you think of the book...

Reading it now, so far it's a good read.