Berkshire 13-F

Parsad

This begs the question:

Why am I not buying DaVita???

The PE is 18, but if you do P/OCF, it's like less than 10

I came across DVA a while back and loved it.  But it's a restricted entity where I work and I cannot invest.  :'(

Shame. I'm estimating their intrinsic value to be.... about 15B compared to 9.8B right now....I might as well go in.

Do you have any estimate of IV?

Guest rimm_never_sleeps

i would say it's not necessarily a core holding of brk for the long term. it's in those pension plans because buffett gave the two new guys that pension money to run. this is a Ted Weschler pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren Buffett Invests In A Diabetes Future

Oct. 14, 2012 - SeekingAlpha.com

http://seekingalpha.com/article/922741-warren-buffett-invests-in-a-diabetes-future

While this was not the first time Berkshire Hathaway put its confidence in DaVita's future, the latest purchase was just another transaction in a series of recent open market purchases in the company. Within the last month, Berkshire had increased its position on several occasions. Between September 26 to October 9, the company purchased a total of 350,349 shares between $100.96 and $108.21 per share.

A quick look at DaVita's expertise sheds light on the specific trend in which Buffett is willing to invest. DaVita is a leading provider of kidney care in the United States. The company provides dialysis services to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. The company offers clinical care, integrated treatment plans, personalized care teams, and convenient health-management services. As of June 2012, the company operated at 1,884 outpatient dialysis centers serving approximately 149,000 patients. With the specific focus of DaVita on dialysis services, it's clear that Buffett is investing in the rising trend of diabetes occurrence within the United States.

So far, what it tells me is that Combs and Weschler appear to buy with conviction. Their allowed portion is also quite bigger than expected, witch shows confidence from Buffett point of view. And as they are making quite concentrated bet, some of their position are becoming quite important in the overall portfolio. It will be interesting to follow in the next few years!

Do you think it will invigorate the importance of the stock portfolio in Berkshire, which relative importance was slowly diminishing with years?

Er...how are you guys so confident it is a Weschler/Combs pick? By his own admission, the bigger positions in DVA's portfolio are WEB's.

The fact that WEB has not commented publicly on it only leads me to think that this could be an acquisition candidate.

It's likely Weschler since he owned DaVita in his old partnership

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-09-12/buffett-hires-weschler-to-help-manage-berkshire-s-portfolio-3-.html

"Peninsula had about $2 billion in the stock of nine companies as of June 30, the firm said in a regulatory filing. The holdings included investments in satellite television provider DirecTV, specialty chemical-maker W.R. Grace & Co., and dialysis facility owner DaVita Inc., the filing showed."