Behavioural Investing: APGtABF - James Montier

Valuebo

[amazonsearch]Behavioural Investing: A Practitioners Guide to Applying Behavioural Finance[/amazonsearch]

After reading The Little Book of Behavioral Investing by James Montier, GMO member and author of many great investing books and papers, I thought it was time for something more serious to sharpen my knowledge on the subject. I just ordered this hefty book (700+ pages) at Amazon for the price of 45€ but think it will be worth every penny!

Has anyone read it already? Any other recommendations in the field of behavo(u)rial finance/investing?

Tom

Behavioural Investing: A Practitioners Guide to Applying Behavioural Finance

After reading The Little Book of Behavioral Investing by James Montier, GMO member and author of many great investing books and papers, I thought it was time for something more serious to sharpen my knowledge on the subject. I just ordered this hefty book (700+ pages) at Amazon for the price of 45€ but think it will be worth every penny!

Has anyone read it already? Any other recommendations in the field of behavo(u)rial finance/investing?

Tom

Every potentially good book deserves a good editor.  The Little Book is the better "after" version.  The bigger book is the "before" version.

• 2 years later...

Haven't red the "little" book so I don't know how this compares. This has been one of the better books on value investing that I've read. Most value books are anecdotal and they cherry pick ideas that worked out or didn't work out where hindsight is 20/20. This is great from a case study type of approach to dig into the thinking and reasoning but it doesn't do much to give you confidence that value investing works.

This book is packed full of research and studies that support multiple types of value strategies. I love how this is backed by data and diverges from many value books in that regard. Further, as the title suggest, it has a behavioral/psychological tilt that goes a long way in identify mental and behavioral biases to help the aspiring value investor develop practical approaches to addressing it.

My only complaint was that it's seriously repetitious at times. I don't know if this is the actual book, or a flawed transcription into the digital version of the Kindle, but at times it felt like entire paragraphs were being repeated from a few pages back. I've experienced this with the other Montier book I've read so I'm suspicious that it's just him.

I've been reading value books for the past 7 years and this would definitely go in my top 5 that I'd recommend to others. Worth every penny.