What is the Big-Big Picture?

Guest HarryLong
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hi Harry, as someone who is relatively new to the board, I do not have any history on this stock or any previous back and forth.  Honestly, I (and perhaps others) just want to know what actually happened with your thesis and sale.  Would you mind providing a history of your post, when you bought, when you sold (e.g., whether it was based on your thesis or otherwise), and whether you actually had gains on the stock?  Substantially all of the back and forth has been rhetoric, but very little substance.  As far as I can tell, the other posters have claimed that you bought and then sold fairly immediately (presumably at a loss), then came back later to say that you had gains after 10 months.  You could settle that claim pretty easily, one way or the other, I would think.

This is a completely honest request--I have no dog in the fight.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HarryLong

Yeah, it's usually Stubble, Hester, Kraven, et al who generally flame by posts. The original below the belt thing some people on this board used to do (and it might not have been them, I think it was other people) was to claim that I was pumping stocks. When I pointed to all of my previous, highly critical pieces on management at FMMH, SURW, etc which is still on seekingalpha and was also on the web in the form of a website we put up about FMMH, it made no difference. They didn't seem to care at all about the documentary evidence to the contrary of their assertions, and no one ever apologized. So I erased almost all of my posts. As I've said before, if people start making personal attacks, that will be my response. Rather than spending time constantly defending myself from flamers, I am going to stay positive and share ideas when I can. If you track the stuff on seekingalpha,etc, we've had a very solid record of advocacy when it comes to improving the shake shareholders get at companies. You might also be able to find an old powerpoint we presented to FMMH's management. It was pretty hard-hitting stuff. I think my best response is to stay positive, not attack people in kind, and keep finding good ideas. This will be my last post on the thread, unless there is anything else super extreme. As I've said, if Stubble, Dorsia, Hester, Kraven, etc want to short my ideas, it's not a problem, that's what makes a market. The netflix thread is another good example of the personal attack mentality. If you go through that, you'll see that the pattern repeats.

Yeah, it's usually Stubble, Hester, Kraven, et al who generally flame by posts. The original below the belt thing some people on this board used to do (and it might not have been them, I think it was other people) was to claim that I was pumping stocks. When I pointed to all of my previous, highly critical pieces on management at FMMH, SURW, etc which is still on seekingalpha and was also on the web in the form of a website we put up about FMMH, it made no difference. They didn't seem to care at all about the documentary evidence to the contrary of their assertions, and no one ever apologized. So I erased almost all of my posts. As I've said before, if people start making personal attacks, that will be my response. Rather than spending time constantly defending myself from flamers, I am going to stay positive and share ideas when I can. If you track the stuff on seekingalpha,etc, we've had a very solid record of advocacy when it comes to improving the shake shareholders get at companies. You might also be able to find an old powerpoint we presented to FMMH's management. It was pretty hard-hitting stuff. I think my best response is to stay positive, not attack people in kind, and keep finding good ideas. This will be my last post on the thread, unless there is anything else super extreme. As I've said, if Stubble, Dorsia, Hester, Kraven, etc want to short my ideas, it's not a problem, that's what makes a market. The netflix thread is another good example of the personal attack mentality. If you go through that, you'll see that the pattern repeats.

I have no dog in the hunt so to speak either, but all that I notice is you never answered Racemize simple question. Political aspirations possibly .  ;)

Guest HarryLong

Yeah, my firm policy is not to respond to attacks on my character.

I can tell you however, from a tactical perspective, that I personally consider any position that doesn't work out within 3 months to be very, very disappointing. I think timing is important, but I respect those who disagree. So even though MNTG ended up rising a lot, I am not proud of the idea in any way.

It was personally a very searing experience for me that the FMMH situation took so long to develop (it was ultimately taken over). I know that a lot of people subscribe to the pain theory of value investing, whereby they enjoy or find it to be a great opportunity to continue to buy as things drop, but as I usually mention 10 or 20 times to whoever I'm speaking with  :) , I have never subscribed to the pain theory of value investing. I know and respect a lot of people who feel differently and who have profited from the pain theory, but it's just not for me. So, in terms of how I judge myself, I am proudest of ideas that work out almost right away, like SURW.

Guest HarryLong

Of course not. But you're asking me to respond to people who have.

Especially when people get personal, they should do it under their own name and clearly identify themselves. I'm open about who I am, and almost all of my ideas are on seekingalpha.

I just think it's a bit strange that you post on a value investing board based on the ideals of investors like Warren Buffett.

You are a short-term trader, that uses different systems, and use high frequency trading or whatever. I'm sure you still look to find value in stocks you buy, but just realize that the majority of people on this board (or, at least speaking for myself) look to purchase great companies at good prices, and hold them for the long-term.

I don't have a problem with your investing style. I completely disagree with it personally, but you can of course trade however you wish. It seems obvious that there is going to be some conflict when you are posting ideas that fit into your investing style, which is a polar opposite from most of the people who visit this forum.

Guest HarryLong

I think Newton said it best when he said that if he has seen farther, it is because he has stood on the shoulders of giants.

Buffett innovated considerably on Graham's ideas, and really pushed qualitative improvements in terms of moats, etc, as you know, so I don't think there is any conflict with seeking to investigate improving methods in an intellectually open fashion.

In terms of what I like and don't like, just because I don't enjoy pain, doesn't mean I haven't experienced it when holding long term positions and pushing for corporate reform and improved governance. Maybe it would be better to seek understanding, rather than to make statements which are not true. Regardless, I am through with the thread. On to the next idea.

Poor, poor Harry.  Always wounded by attacks such as asking why he is gloating about the performance of a stock he sold months ago.  The horror, the horror.  Harry, I remember vividly speaking to a friend around 1988 and telling him that MSFT and AAPL would be good buys.  I didn't actually buy them at the time, but man!  Those have worked out really well.  Me and you, Harry, we are misunderstood.  We just want credit for ideas we didn't actually capitalize on, but turned out fantabulous.

Regardless, I am through with the thread.

...right. You've said that a few times. I still don't understand why you post on this value investing forum, but whatever. Sorry I joined this thread...I don't have time to argue about this nonsense.

Ok, enough's enough, so I don't want Harry's name mentioned on this board again.  He's a big enough boy to give out the medicine, but not take it, and I don't want to keep deleting posts that he tells me are slanderous...like he just did!  His account has been deleted, and he will not be posting on here anymore.  Enjoy your life on Seeking Alpha Harry, and we look forward to your conquests!  Cheers!