Getting Closer to the Brink!

Parsad

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I truly don't understand about some who post on this board and especially what the American media harp about all the time (especially Fox Network, the religious right, Tea Party), re the Obama Administration. If  they had not acted the way they did in 2008/2009, the world economy would have collapsed. IMO. In hindsight, I am sure Obama wishes they had made a couple of different decisions, but all in all, they got it essentially right. And yet, people target him as a spender and not living up to what was expected of him, etc. etc.

Hey guys and gals, he inherited a huge, huge mess from previous Administrations and lack of securities regulation and massive speculation from most of American society (and I am sure from some (a lot?) of posters on this board) trying to make as much money as fast as possible, any way they could. And now, the guy that is trying to clean it up, gets it on the chin from all angles!! 

Excuse me, but FDR is now one of your most revered Presidents of all time (if you find that statement offensive, read the history books)) but when FDR was making the tough decisions to get the USA/World out of Depression, he was reviled. Sound familiar?

I find it very, very sad that people do not seem to know or understand their history anymore; they have so little perspective. They see everything only day to day, and in their own best interests. "How can I win, and good luck to the losers". So sad.

Sure, the USA has it problems, not easy ones for sure. But over the next 20 years, would you park your money elsewhere and avoid

America?  Are you moving your money to Europe? How about Somalia? or Italy? or Japan? and China for that matter!

Glad to see the board could carry on a politics conversation without a "troll" being present!

One question: If the 2011 budget is 3.5 trillion, and the budget for 2012 is 3.6 trillion, but was supposed to be 3.7 trillion, does that mean that the politicians in DC cut the budget for 2012?

(My son (8 years old) said, "Dad, why are you asking me that question, you KNOW 3.6 is bigger than 3.5!")

Or just leave. It appears that you have nothing to say on investing, and there are hundreds of better places to do what you are doing........

To Hawk

Opinion means something is open to debate. And you are able to have yours, and I gladly read your comments, as I might learn something. The one remark you made about only seeing everything day to day, though, is where you may misunderstand those who have that "FoxNEWS" opinion.

The United States is young, FDR's policies have been around for only 75 years or so. The perspective, a long-term perspective, as opposed to what you think, is what worries a lot of people. Roman empires, Greek empires, Egypt, Persia, China, Mayans, Incas - history has plenty of evidence of tyranny and centralized control. There is precious little history of republics, and Bill of Rights, and Magna Cartas.

So when "HERO MEMBERS" like the Myth say "or just leave", you get a glimpse into how and why we are this stage. My question about 3.5<>3.6<>3.7 was a valid one, my opinion that Obama, Boehner, Reid, Pelosi, and McConnell are political hacks is just that, an opinion.

Just today, we had the head of the HHS, Sebellius, mandate that private insurers will pay for female contraception. HELLO, my premiums are now going up, even though my wife and I would love to have another child. That means that President Obama, directly, since he is the head of the Executive branch is making my life and my companies existence harder. When your government has the power to do that, you are on the "road to serfdom".

I dont like when people simply try to put me on the other side of whatever issue they want to talk about and thats what you do. Its the same 5 talking points over and over. We could be having a conversation about something completely unrelated to Medicare and Medicaid and you will come in with your little spill about how its 50 times more then its initial projection then ask if that makes sense or for someone to defend the program.

If you want to have a conversation start a thread, if you want to join the conversation join it. But I wont engage with someone who is a one trick straw man pony. You seem to exclusive want to engage in political conversations where you simple bitch about the Government. All I am saying is there are plenty of better places then that.

I have not tried to put anyone on any side. If you read my posts, I explained why I ask those simple questions (so we find something to agree on) and why I have kept quiet about stocks and bonds and such (most people on here have more knowledge). To call me a the straw man one triock pony guy, saying that I spout talking points, is a bit unfair. How is asking, or pointing out, that this government says "cut" when thay increase spending by 5% instead of 6% bitching about government!? How is pointing out that regulations being implemented by the bureaucratic part of the Executive branch will affect me, my family, and my business bithcing about government!? My company has not laid off one worker in the last 3 years, but my salary has been stagnant and bonuses non-existent! And I think that the policies set forth by the President and the Democratic congress are, at least, partially responsible.

And Bush was terrible as well, but on a scale a lot less than Obama. Obama has done everything he said he would do, though not as fast as he would like. TRANSFORMATION (Obama's word) takes a long time I guess!

I have not tried to put anyone on any side. If you read my posts, I explained why I ask those simple questions (so we find something to agree on) and why I have kept quiet about stocks and bonds and such (most people on here have more knowledge). To call me a the straw man one triock pony guy, saying that I spout talking points, is a bit unfair. How is asking, or pointing out, that this government says "cut" when thay increase spending by 5% instead of 6% bitching about government!? How is pointing out that regulations being implemented by the bureaucratic part of the Executive branch will affect me, my family, and my business bithcing about government!? My company has not laid off one worker in the last 3 years, but my salary has been stagnant and bonuses non-existent! And I think that the policies set forth by the President and the Democratic congress are, at least, partially responsible.

And Bush was terrible as well, but on a scale a lot less than Obama. Obama has done everything he said he would do, though not as fast as he would like. TRANSFORMATION (Obama's word) takes a long time I guess!

All I am saying is find another place to vent  ;D. We have had terrible Government for 10 years (inmo), maybe 18 depending on your political leanings, and maybe since the founding of the Republic if you are simply a Libertarian anarchist.

Also I have seen the medicare thing in a few other places, around the same time. That inmo makes it a talking point. When you ask people to defend things they dont care about it appears straw mannish. I dont agree with your politics (you seem a bit angry), but have issues with your style. Many people here think its the fact that you are right of center, but it has more to do with your tactics / style for me. Finally its trollish to come to a board about sports, investing, basket weaving, or fantasy football - and exclusive post about politics but claim you are lurking regarding the major board topic......

Enough food for today I guess.

This is what I truly don't understand about some who post on this board and especially what the American media harp about all the time (especially Fox Network, the religious right, Tea Party), re the Obama Administration. If  they had not acted the way they did in 2008/2009, the world economy would have collapsed. IMO. In hindsight, I am sure Obama wishes they had made a couple of different decisions, but all in all, they got it essentially right. And yet, people target him as a spender and not living up to what was expected of him, etc. etc.

Hey guys and gals, he inherited a huge, huge mess from previous Administrations and lack of securities regulation and massive speculation from most of American society (and I am sure from some (a lot?) of posters on this board) trying to make as much money as fast as possible, any way they could. And now, the guy that is trying to clean it up, gets it on the chin from all angles!! 

I don't want to create a big argument here, but I am confused about what you said.  You mentioned 2008/2009.  Bush was president in 2008 and signed TARP.  Obama took office in January 2009 and passed the Stimulus package.  He did oversee some TARP implementation too.  Both bills are controverisal, but it is my understanding that TARP was what saved the world economy not the stimulus package.  The stimulus package has been seen as less effective.  Progressives complain it was too small.  Conservatives complain that it was inefficent and wasteful. 

Obama is considered a spender due to the stimulus package and the fact that spending went up the year after the stimulus package.  In addition you have the medical care plan that hasn't kicked in yet.  It is pretty hard to argue Obama is not a spender.  Bush was a spender too, that is why conservatives are reluctant to compromise.

Guest Hester

Steven Colbert's take on the debt resolution (via twitter):

"We didn't default! I haven't been this excited about averting a voluntary disaster since the time I didn't stick my hand in a paper shredder."

I had heard a quote a while back which I think strongly applies to most politics and investing:

"As investors we deal with the government(politics) as it as not as we want it to be"

Just like everyone else who's thought of these things I realize they can't continue in a linear fashion in their present form, of course something needs to change.  I think everyone recognizes that, even most in Washington.  The problem is that people visualize the how differently.  I've realized my opinion on the how doesn't matter, so I'm content dealing with the present.  I think it's good to be prepared for any sort of outcome (I hold cash in my portfolio) but outside of that I go digging for cheap companies and forget about the rest.

As they say the failure rate of empires is 100% but it's not like the UK or Spain suddenly disappeared, people seem to be getting along quite fine over there...