Your YTD performance?

alertmeipp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://mevsemt.blogspot.com/2011/06/q2-2011-returns.html

I'm up a little over 12 percent, check out the link above for details...

You should totally contact cmattporter and exchange ideas! 

:D

I guess it is easy to get anxiety after some members posted eye-popping returns. Congratulations. And I am glad finally I felt nothing when people have better results than mine, or I have better results than other people. That is a great prize I won :P

Fan, this is a wise perspective.  I'm one of those board members who is up a lot this year, but the truth is that the intrinsic value of what I hold is hardly up at all.  Why should I take credit for the fact that Mr. Market, a crazy man, happened to agree with me during this period?

http://mevsemt.blogspot.com/2011/06/q2-2011-returns.html

I'm up a little over 12 percent, check out the link above for details...

You should totally contact cmattporter and exchange ideas! 

:D

I guess it is easy to get anxiety after some members posted eye-popping returns. Congratulations. And I am glad finally I felt nothing when people have better results than mine, or I have better results than other people. That is a great prize I won :P

Fan, this is a wise perspective.  I'm one of those board members who is up a lot this year, but the truth is that the intrinsic value of what I hold is hardly up at all.  Why should I take credit for the fact that Mr. Market, a crazy man, happened to agree with me during this period?

You are being modest. I am looking at Spain and Ireland companies and will let you guys know if I find anything interesting.

For those like yields, I recommend mega-cap Australia banks, which is yielding 6-7%. I am no expert on banks, so do your own DD. In general, financials in AU are quite cheap at the moment.

I have a very large exposure to AU dollars and I still believe this is one of the currencies that will outperform. That is part of the reason I bought stocks in the AU market.

For those like yields, I recommend mega-cap Australia banks, which is yielding 6-7%. I am no expert on banks, so do your own DD. In general, financials in AU are quite cheap at the moment.

I'm actually not very keen on AU banks. AU has a real estate bubble that rivals the US and their banks have been quite aggressive about lending. Also they are very dependent on wholesale funding. Here is a 2009 analysis done by Ben Claremon from The Inoculated Investor about Australian banks. http://www.scribd.com/doc/17035987/Analysis-of-Australian-Bank-Fundamentals

The Australian banks do pay a nice dividend, but that's partly because the interest rates are quite high in Australia and the stocks have to compete for yield. You can get a 5-6% yield on insured savings accounts in Australia.  In Taiwan, it's very common to see buses with advertisements for people to open up Australian denominated savings accounts since the interest yield is so high (in Taiwan is less than 1%.)  I wonder how much of the current rise in AUD is due to people pushing their currency into higher yield AUD savings accounts...

I'm actually not very keen on AU banks. AU has a real estate bubble that rivals the US and their banks have been quite aggressive about lending. Also they are very dependent on wholesale funding. Here is a 2009 analysis done by Ben Claremon from The Inoculated Investor about Australian banks. http://www.scribd.com/doc/17035987/Analysis-of-Australian-Bank-Fundamentals

The Australian banks do pay a nice dividend, but that's partly because the interest rates are quite high in Australia and the stocks have to compete for yield. You can get a 5-6% yield on insured savings accounts in Australia.  In Taiwan, it's very common to see buses with advertisements for people to open up Australian denominated savings accounts since the interest yield is so high (in Taiwan is less than 1%.)  I wonder how much of the current rise in AUD is due to people pushing their currency into higher yield AUD savings accounts...

Zero argument here. I like AUD for other reasons and fully realized there is a housing bubble going on.

I have been studying banks for some years and never felt very confident to put money in them other than MHCs and fully converted banks in the US. Maybe these are just beyond my abilities.

Thanks for the comments.