Jeremy Grantham Quarterly Letter - Days of Abudant Resources and Falling Prices

Myth465

Twacow - Polymerase isn't unique to or discovered only in hot springs.  There is nothing exceptional about DNA polymerase - it exists in all animals and plants.  However Taq polymerase used in PCR is heat-stable enzyme and so useful in the heat cycling required to generate multiple copies of a DNA sequence.  Taq polymerase is the particular version of the enzyme discovered in a hot spring.

Harry - Isn't is a stretch to say that internal/geologic conditions on Titan replicate current conditions on Earth?  If the abiotic formation of hydrocarbons is going on at scale wouldn't we see more even distribution of hydrocarbons in strata.  For example 5-17 million year old Miocene shales contains lots of hydrocarbons but carbonate or shale layers above and below do not.  Why, if hydrocarbons are bubbling up from mantle layers are they not more evenly spread across rock formations that would be likely to hold/trap hydrocarbons.

I would venture that methane clathrates are probably a sign of some kind of abiotic generation.  But harvesting or mining those is a whole nother ball of wax.

Lastly, I'm fairly amenable to the idea that the origin of hydrocarbons on earth is abiotic.  After all, not all carbon chains necessarily have to have been produced by algae, bacteria, and the like.

Harry - do you feel the studies you have cited pose a threat to the basis of any religions?

Bronco, I don't think you mean religion, but the actual idea of God.  Religion is simply a belief system based on a set of ideas or values...it can be predicated on the idea of God, or something else entirely.  For example, value investors believe in the philosophy of Ben Graham.  The hordes attending Omaha would suggest that it could be viewed as a religion, as evidenced by all of us who "religiously" follow and post on here.

I studied Biology with a minor in environmental toxicology.  I'm not religious whatsoever, in terms of a belief in God.  But I think it would be incredibly naive for anyone to suggest that humanity's limited understanding of the universe, could clearly define the case for, or against, the existence of God.  We are just a speck in the eye of this world!  Cheers!   

Guest Bronco

Parsad, I hear your point but didn't want to offend anyone so I kept it generic.

I do believe that the more we learn through science, there becomes more questions about some of the basic foundations of religion. I'll stay generic with that comment.

I realize that people may not ever change their belief systems but I think you always have to look around and keep an open mind.

I should know better than bringing this up.  If buybacks were controversial.....