FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

Guest Covid-19_Survivor

Best value of day: FREJP, bought at 10.20

LOL, 5 whole shares! So, not value of the day, just someone seeking attention. To sell.

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The preferred shares have differing dividend rates and redemption terms and these differences may significantly affect the value of these securities as discussed below.

Once the NWS goes away, if the GSEs want to clean up the capital structure, they may want to redeem or exchange some of the preferred shares. If they want to exchange them for common at par,  or common or cash at some haircut to par, they will need consent from at least 2/3rd of the voters from each series. If they do not get consent, then for most of the series they will have the option to redeem for cash at par plus the quarterly dividend due in the quarter they are redeemed (regardless of whether the dividend is being paid or not).

Here's how I see that potentially playing out:

For the very-low variable-rate preferred securities (e.g. FMCCS, FMCCJ, FMCCM, FNMAO, FMCCL, FMCCG, FMCCI, FNMAP, FMCCN), there is no incentive to exchange or redeem, even at a haircut. Just turn on the dividends. The dividends are so low on these that they would be valued in the open market at perhaps 1/3rd of par.

For all the other securities (except FNMAS and FMCKJ), if they cannot get a vote of 2/3rds of holders, then just redeem at par plus the quarterly dividend. They could refinance at lower rates.

For FNMAS and FMCKJ, the GSEs can only redeem (without consent from shareholders) every five years. For FNMAS the next date is 12/31/2020 and for FMCKJ the next date is 12/31/2022. If the dividends are eventually turned back on, FNMAS and FMCKJ will hold more value because they can only be called on these dates.

I would bet that after 1/1/2021 FNMAS will go up in value because it will not be redeemable until 12/31/2025, and I expect the GSEs to be released from conservatorship by then. Likewise if FMCKJ is not redeemed by 12/31/2022 then the next date is 12/31/2027.

For the above reasons I believe FMCKJ and FNMAS are more valuable than the others. Thoughts?

Note: there are other factors such as liquidity and Fannie vs Freddie, etc., which come in to play. But I am just focusing on significance of dividend and redemption terms.

Guest Covid-19_Survivor

My opinion is if you're gonna clean up your capital structure, that includes: 1) Consolidating 37! preferred stocks into 2 or 6, or most likely none; 2) Or at least redeem 8 of the issues which have been rendered worthless by archaic payout terms. You don't want that stink and two of them may be illegal in that I'm not paying Fannie quarterly for my preferreds; 3) I'm no lawyer but I'd imagine there's a lot of other prospectus language has been violated in one manner or another, and not creating lawsuits is probably a goal here. They all need to be amended anyway, so..

They'll all be redeemed at par with common. 25, 50, 100,000

For the above reasons I believe FMCKJ and FNMAS are owned by dreamers and flippers, and if you want value today consider the par 50's.

FYI, FMCCS has a divi floor of 4%

@Wiggins

Citi's pref conversion was an offer made to all shareholders, of which most accepted. If the same happens with FnF, no 2/3 vote will be necessary because each shareholder would be free to convert or not.

However, if the re-IPO investors really do want the capital structure flattened before investing, that gives FHFA urgency to get all of them converted. I think the easiest (and cheapest) way to do that is just offer more and more commons until everyone accepts. If enough do, the rest (outside of FNMAS and FMCKJ) can be redeemed.

Redemption on a large scale, though, makes no sense at all, even if it's financed with more prefs. Re-IPO investors that want to buy commons want there to be as few prefs as possible in front of them in the capital structure. Conversion to common accomplishes the same goal while not costing any money.

As far as whether div rates will matter in the conversion, I can see it going either way. A holder of FNMAT will scoff at getting the same percentage of par as FNMAO, but if they get a good enough deal in absolute terms it might not matter.

To prepare for this, I choose to own the middle of the div structure: I don't own any FNMAT/FNMAS/FMCKJ, but I also am staying away from the low-div floaters because the 4-6% fixed-div series aren't much more expensive. My main holding is FNMAM (same price as other Fannie 50s with a higher div rate), and I have started picking up chunks of FMCKK at what I perceive to be good prices.

FNMAG, FMCKL, and FNMAH are overpriced compared to the rest of the prefs in my opinion. So are FNMAT/FNMAS/FMCKJ if things happen the way I think they will.

I do agree that FNMAS should gain a good chunk of value if it still exists on 1/1/2021.

I posted this elsewhere but I'll do so here too to see if anyone has ideas or theories about this.

Last September, FHFA and Treasury agreed to lift the caps above which FnF have to pay all net worth to Treasury, from $3B for each company before that date, to $25B for Fannie and $20B for Freddie.

https://www.fhfa.gov/Conservatorship/Documents/Senior-Preferred-Stock-Agree/FNM/LTR-Agree/FNM-2019-Ltr-Agreement_09-27-2019.pdf

https://www.fhfa.gov/Media/PublicAffairs/PublicAffairsDocuments/9-27-19_FRE-Capital-Agreement.pdf

At the time I couldn't figure out why they used those numbers. Freddie is around 2/3 the size of Fannie, but its cap is 4/5 as much. That's enough of a difference to make one pause.

Also, Fannie's total par value of its junior prefs is $19.130B, and Freddie's is $14.109B.

Now I have a theory: the fact that the difference between the letter agreement cap for each company and its total junior pref par value is almost identical is no coincidence. Said difference is $5.870B for Fannie and $5.991B for Freddie; the $121M difference between those amounts to a rounding error given the round $25B and $20B numbers in the letter agreements.

Of course, I don't really know what this could mean. It could very well just be coincidence.

Guest cherzeca

"I think the easiest (and cheapest) way to do that is just offer more and more commons until everyone accepts. If enough do, the rest (outside of FNMAS and FMCKJ) can be redeemed."

GSEs making an exchange offer only need 2/3rds acceptance of a class to an exchange offer in order to make it work, since the accepting holders would give an exit consent emasculating the preferred, so that this will force 100% to accept

Guest Covid-19_Survivor

@Wiggins

Citi's pref conversion was an offer made to all shareholders, of which most accepted. If the same happens with FnF, no 2/3 vote will be necessary because each shareholder would be free to convert or not.

However, if the re-IPO investors really do want the capital structure flattened before investing, that gives FHFA urgency to get all of them converted. I think the easiest (and cheapest) way to do that is just offer more and more commons until everyone accepts. If enough do, the rest (outside of FNMAS and FMCKJ) can be redeemed.

Redemption on a large scale, though, makes no sense at all, even if it's financed with more prefs. Re-IPO investors that want to buy commons want there to be as few prefs as possible in front of them in the capital structure. Conversion to common accomplishes the same goal while not costing any money.

As far as whether div rates will matter in the conversion, I can see it going either way. A holder of FNMAT will scoff at getting the same percentage of par as FNMAO, but if they get a good enough deal in absolute terms it might not matter.

To prepare for this, I choose to own the middle of the div structure: I don't own any FNMAT/FNMAS/FMCKJ, but I also am staying away from the low-div floaters because the 4-6% fixed-div series aren't much more expensive. My main holding is FNMAM (same price as other Fannie 50s with a higher div rate), and I have started picking up chunks of FMCKK at what I perceive to be good prices.

FNMAG, FMCKL, and FNMAH are overpriced compared to the rest of the prefs in my opinion. So are FNMAT/FNMAS/FMCKJ if things happen the way I think they will.

I do agree that FNMAS should gain a good chunk of value if it still exists on 1/1/2021.

Dude, a 3/4ths majority could amend FNMAS's divi to 4% with justifiable cause, of which tons exist here. The majority, you know - that majority who have been fighting for our rights and simply want a just settlement after purchasing their shares at clips far, far, far, far lower than par. They won't be greedy and FNMAS on 1/1/2021 may become a meaningless exercise in hope and greed.

25/50/100,000, bank on it.

Interesting: On 6/1/08 FNMAO w/ its 4.53% divi (at time) closed at 25.5. FNMAS w/ its 7.75% divi closed at 25.55. Your opinion is nonsense. We've all been stuck in limbo for a decade and just want our principle back.

2nd edit: LOL at comparison to C. Like the two are in any way comparable.

thanks for the comments on this everyone (@Midas, @Covid, @cherzeca)

@Midas,

Thanks for your reply above. It makes a lot of sense to me. I actually have the same general strategy as you, owning mostly mid-range fixed dividend JPS, some 25s and some 50s. That has been my core position for years. I have also picked up FMCKJ and FNMAS along the way when they were low. I have wondered about my strategy on those two that I outlined above, so I'm glad to also have your well-reasoned perspective to add to my own. I have done very well trading in and out of commons (99% luck, 1% skill).

@cherzeca

I think the most important comments ever made on COBF are the ones that promulgate inclusivity of opinions over excessive stifling of marginal commentary. I know you support this.

I posted this elsewhere but I'll do so here too to see if anyone has ideas or theories about this.

Last September, FHFA and Treasury agreed to lift the caps above which FnF have to pay all net worth to Treasury, from $3B for each company before that date, to $25B for Fannie and $20B for Freddie.

https://www.fhfa.gov/Conservatorship/Documents/Senior-Preferred-Stock-Agree/FNM/LTR-Agree/FNM-2019-Ltr-Agreement_09-27-2019.pdf

https://www.fhfa.gov/Media/PublicAffairs/PublicAffairsDocuments/9-27-19_FRE-Capital-Agreement.pdf

At the time I couldn't figure out why they used those numbers. Freddie is around 2/3 the size of Fannie, but its cap is 4/5 as much. That's enough of a difference to make one pause.

Also, Fannie's total par value of its junior prefs is $19.130B, and Freddie's is $14.109B.

Now I have a theory: the fact that the difference between the letter agreement cap for each company and its total junior pref par value is almost identical is no coincidence. Said difference is $5.870B for Fannie and $5.991B for Freddie; the $121M difference between those amounts to a rounding error given the round $25B and $20B numbers in the letter agreements.

Of course, I don't really know what this could mean. It could very well just be coincidence.

@Midas

To be clear, is your theory that JPS holders get redeemed for cash?  Without a simultaneous very large capital raise, Calabria isn't preserving and conserving to soundness.  My initial take was that Mnuchin and Calabria didn't think either Fannie or Freddie would earn past the 25B and 20B amounts. 

If both FnF go back to a similar business model as pre 2008, with strong underwriting, they will be superb businesses.  I have always thought that the major JPS holders will want a sizeable piece of the businesses moving forward, along with new common.

Guest Covid-19_Survivor

Powell, Tepper, and now this guy: https://twitter.com/i/events/1260623451313721344

Should be a fun week.

I don't see the direct connection to Fannie/Freddie, am I missing something?

Well, besides that forbearance thingy you're right - the direction of the markets should have little to do with us. If flippers exit or lighten because of general market concerns 10 to 1 they have no idea what they bought here.

@Wiggins

I have tried to time the pref/common back-and-forth trade in the past, and I have just about broken even. I suppose I shouldn't complain, but it tells me that I'm no good at it.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from continuing to try. Right now the commons are underperforming enough that I'm tempted to take another spin at the wheel. Are you still doing this trade, and are you on the common side?

@beaufort

No, I don't see a redemption happening at all. Exchanging those shares for commons accomplishes the same goal (clearing out the capital structure for the re-IPO commons) while costing nothing instead of dozens of billions. I agree that the juniors will want to be in commons post-release due to the fantastic profitability of the business.

I have a different view on the caps. I think they were put in place to put FHFA and Treasury on the clock; they need to get the PSPA amendment done before the caps are hit or the NWS restarts, which is major egg on Calabria's face due to his insistence on FnF building capital.

The caps should be hit late this year, and a PSPA amendment finally killing the NWS at that time coincides with the timelines of ACG Analytics and other investors. I think the cap levels relative to the par value of the juniors is a coincidence, but I don't feel the same way about those levels as a function of FnF's earnings.

@Midas

I'm not in commons at all anymore because I think we are closer to the finish line and it's a bit risky. But like you, perhaps I will get back in a little bit if it stays favorable or becomes more favorable. My miracle trade (again, 99% luck, 1% skill) was in the fall of 2018 when I loaded up on commons. I then rode them from the low $1s to the high $3s where I sold most. The skill (if you can call it that), was my thesis on this trade based on reasoning for tax losses. At the time, the preferred and commons were significantly lower than they had been earlier in the year, and they were hitting new lows. I knew there would be a lot of selling pressure at tax loss season, which there was. I also thought that in January they would pop up because most people knew the thesis was still intact. For those who wished to harvest tax losses, they key is to do it a bit early (e.g. October or early November) and then buy back in BEFORE the end of the year.  I had some tax loss harvesting on some of my positions and that's what I did. This way, you can harvest losses, sit out the required 30 days, but still buy back in before the pop in January. In fact, for those on this thread that are familiar with Benjamin Graham's epic book, he devotes a whole chapter to this strategy. I also lucked out because I was still sitting on that position when the Collins decision came out. Luck, luck, luck. By the way, I find it kind of annoying when people talk about the trade that worked out well after the fact. So, sorry for that as it's not my style. (the trick is to predict, lol!) I only tell the story because I was asked and also I thought some people here would find the tax-loss reasoning interesting, and again it's a Benjamin Graham feature.

Guest Covid-19_Survivor

@Midas

I'm not in commons at all anymore because I think we are closer to the finish line and it's a bit risky. But like you, perhaps I will get back in a little bit if it stays favorable or becomes more favorable. My miracle trade (again, 99% luck, 1% skill) was in the fall of 2018 when I loaded up on commons. I then rode them from the low $1s to the high $3s where I sold most. The skill (if you can call it that), was my thesis on this trade based on reasoning for tax losses. At the time, the preferred and commons were significantly lower than they had been earlier in the year, and they were hitting new lows. I knew there would be a lot of selling pressure at tax loss season, which there was. I also thought that in January they would pop up because most people knew the thesis was still intact. For those who wished to harvest tax losses, they key is to do it a bit early (e.g. October or early November) and then buy back in BEFORE the end of the year.  I had some tax loss harvesting on some of my positions and that's what I did. This way, you can harvest losses, sit out the required 30 days, but still buy back in before the pop in January. In fact, for those on this thread that are familiar with Benjamin Graham's epic book, he devotes a whole chapter to this strategy. I also lucked out because I was still sitting on that position when the Collins decision came out. Luck, luck, luck. By the way, I find it kind of annoying when people talk about the trade that worked out well after the fact. So, sorry for that as it's not my style. (the trick is to predict, lol!) I only tell the story because I was asked and also I thought some people here would find the tax-loss reasoning interesting, and again it's a Benjamin Graham feature.

I wish you guys and gals flipping this stuff the best of luck, but since there's a double -> triple at risk from any number of sources I just won't play that game.

@Midas

I wish you guys and gals flipping this stuff the best of luck, but since there's a double -> triple at risk from any number of sources I just won't play that game.

@Covid

Both the common AND the preferred shares in GSEs are speculative investments. In fact, according to "The Intelligent Investor" virtually all stocks are speculative. Everyone's risk tolerance is different. I try not to waste everyone's time by posting all of my personal preferences and risk tolerances unless specifically asked.

@Wiggins

That's a great story and strategy, I'm glad you shared it.

What I meant by trading the commons and prefs, though, was selling one class to buy the other at what I hope to be advantageous times while being cash-neutral. Basically betting on the direction of the FNMAS:FNMA ratio. It's approaching 5:1, which is around the highest it has been since late 2018.

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=FNMAS:FNMA&p=d&yr=2&mn=0&dy=0&id=p6911660031c

It seems that the commons are always the first to overreact to good news, so even for a 100%-pref investor like me, it might be worth swapping a bit over to commons to potentially gain on good news like a capital rule actually being released or a positive Supreme Court decision in Selia. The chart I linked to shows two big plunges (the kind that swapping prefs to commons would take advantage of): Watt's term ending and the Fifth Circuit en banc decision.

The real money to be made 18 months ago, in hindsight of course, was to swap prefs to commons in late 2018 and swap back in March 2019.

Edit: and if you don't mind my asking, why didn't you do the same thing at the end of 2019 as you did in 2018?

@beaufort

I am 99% sure that the caps' relation to junior pref par value is a coincidence. I just found it interesting and decided to post it.

Guest cherzeca

@Midas

Interesting speculation re net worth caps.

I have thought about it some and I think it is a coincidence.