FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully he is an idiot who's view on this one issue, exercise warrants and provide 'balance sheet support' (with Treasury recapping both Fannie and Freddie instantly), gets some traction. 

They can sell the commons later, along with Boeing and whatever else Treasury buys.

Not sure if anybody is listening to the press conference tonight, but moments ago Trump said (and I paraphrase): "We don't nationalize businesses.  Ask Venezuela how that goes."  Certainly seems good for those that fear F&F will be nationalized due to a bad economy.

At this time wouldnt it be best to swap the Sr Preferred for common and scrap the warrants? Would get to own way more of the company, common does get screwed way more then warrants but would recap faster right? Would have to watch out for owning more then 80% though. In any scenario where the Srs are gone preferred should go to par. Maybe if anything this helps move along another PSPA amendment?

Settling the whole FnF issue although projected to go longer would be a nice kitchen sink move while everything is hitting the fan. If whalen is right (I dont have a good feel for if he is or not as I dont have access to any of the markets he speaks of) this could unravel fast along with the market.

Guest cherzeca

Hopefully he is an idiot who's view on this one issue, exercise warrants and provide 'balance sheet support' (with Treasury recapping both Fannie and Freddie instantly), gets some traction. 

They can sell the commons later, along with Boeing and whatever else Treasury buys.

I didn't read Whalen's piece but exercising the warrants brings in about $100 in fresh capital

Guest cherzeca

At this time wouldnt it be best to swap the Sr Preferred for common and scrap the warrants? Would get to own way more of the company, common does get screwed way more then warrants but would recap faster right? Would have to watch out for owning more then 80% though. In any scenario where the Srs are gone preferred should go to par. Maybe if anything this helps move along another PSPA amendment?

Settling the whole FnF issue although projected to go longer would be a nice kitchen sink move while everything is hitting the fan. If whalen is right (I dont have a good feel for if he is or not as I dont have access to any of the markets he speaks of) this could unravel fast along with the market.

it is my view that if scotus decides seila the way I expect, then the NWS is toasty if not toast.  I believe Ps should not give any credence to the seniors in a settlement negotiation unless the seila outcome is bad

it is my view that if scotus decides seila the way I expect, then the NWS is toasty if not toast.  I believe Ps should not give any credence to the seniors in a settlement negotiation unless the seila outcome is bad

given current circumstances, it's not likely they will cancel an OID that would indirectly cost the federal govt $180bn when another simple option (forward looking relief) exists.

If things start to unravel or the treasury sees a window to settle and/or return some money over the 10% do you see them doing so before selia is decided? The could suddenly be operating from a position of weakness if the MBS market takes a shit right?

swapping the sr pref for common would involve some arbitrary exchange ratio whereas the warrants were set in place 12 years ago and thus less random and more clean.

I didn't read Whalen's piece but exercising the warrants brings in about $100 in fresh capital

I think I agree with your conclusion that it's unlikely to happen given other priorities but exercising the warrants -- which aren't subject to court challenges (unlike sr pref) -- could be more of an attempt to bring in the gapped-out spread between mbs - tsy (to allow for refinancing) rather than inject capital.

If things start to unravel or the treasury sees a window to settle and/or return some money over the 10% do you see them doing so before selia is decided? The could suddenly be operating from a position of weakness if the MBS market takes a shit right?

I'd be guessing but I think their first priority is and should be helping Americans by using FnF rather than worrying about legacy shareholders, for now.

In other words, are we setting up for an insane perfect storm where prefs are made whole (or close to it) while the entire stock market is on sale? 

-junior prefs go close to par

Plaintiffs do this because they see everything is depressed in price and they want to take advantage and buy some companies on the cheap rather than wait around for the courts/settlement/Admin/etc.

Yes, please.

I'd be guessing but I think their first priority is and should be helping Americans by using FnF rather than worrying about legacy shareholders, for now.

No and I agree with that too, Im just hypothesizing a quick recap via the Sr preferred.  Isnt a recapped FnF a stronger FnF?

My assumption for price would be last 30 days trading price like other bailouts, C etc.

swapping the sr pref for common would involve some arbitrary exchange ratio whereas the warrants were set in place 12 years ago and thus less random and more clean.

Converting the seniors to commons gives UST around 99% of the commons ($205B of liquidation preference of the seniors vs $2.5B of market cap of the commons right now).

If the seniors get converted, UST can name its ratio. They can also structure the transaction to convert piecemeal and avoid ever having a controlling stake, let alone the 80% that would trigger a balance sheet consolidation.

Tax question.  Has anyone looked into whether selling one issue and buying another constitutes a wash sale?  A quick google seems to imply that if they have different interest rates (as many of the different series do) it does not constitute “substantially identical”.  What if you sell and buy different series from the same issuer (Freddie)?

There it is, open-ended MBS buying:

The Fed's firehose is fully open. Open-ended Treasury & MBS buying, sets up a TALF program for ABS, student loans, credit card and small business loans. Also planning a small-business lending program. Treasuries rally. The dollar weakens. @TheTerminal

FHFA authorizes @FannieMae and @FreddieMac to support additional liquidity in the secondary mortgage market https://t.co/enpXJUXzG4

Tax question.  Has anyone looked into whether selling one issue and buying another constitutes a wash sale?  A quick google seems to imply that if they have different interest rates (as many of the different series do) it does not constitute “substantially identical”.  What if you sell and buy different series from the same issuer (Freddie)?

I have thought about moving from Fannie to Freddie  and vice versa which I think would not constitute a wash sale. Different companies entirely.

The issue I have come across is the bid ask and volume. In the end I believe I would get less shares as I would get caught on the wrong side of the spread in both.

The issue I have come across is the bid ask and volume. In the end I believe I would get less shares as I would get caught on the wrong side of the spread in both.

Do a combo order.  Either they both fill simultaneously, or neither fill.  Makes it less likely to execute, of course, but ensures you don't get on the wrong side of the spread on both.

Do keep in mind the possibility that Fannie may exit conservatorship or have consent decree prior to Freddie.  I currently only own Fannie prefs in part due to this, although all prefs should do well both Fannie and Freddie.

Do a combo order.  Either they both fill simultaneously, or neither fill.  Makes it less likely to execute, of course, but ensures you don't get on the wrong side of the spread on both.

Do keep in mind the possibility that Fannie may exit conservatorship or have consent decree prior to Freddie.  I currently only own Fannie prefs in part due to this, although all prefs should do well both Fannie and Freddie.

Think i'll do this, take the tax loss and re balance.

Cobf members should team up for some extras liquidity :-)

Think i'll do this, take the tax loss and re balance.

Cobf members should team up for some extras liquidity :-)

Balanced FNMAS and FMCKJ, got more shares, and spread my risk too. Well done Orthopa!

Overall I own more Fannie than Freddie still, but I'm OK with that.

-warrants exercised

-junior prefs go close to par

-plaintiffs sell their juniors at close to par

-plaintiffs drop lawsuits because they've sold near par

Plaintiffs do this because they see everything is depressed in price and they want to take advantage and buy some companies on the cheap rather than wait around for the courts/settlement/Admin/etc.  That's surely what I would do if warrants are exercised.

Result: companies have many billions more capital, lawsuits are dropped, plaintiffs are happy, housing market stabilized by GSE's, etc. :)

how would this raise capital?

the dems and media are going to watch the corporate bailout side like a hawk.  It'd be a large political risk to act in a manner that surges the jr pref before November.