Value Investing (Online) Program - Columbia Business School

Snorky

I'm taking it right now. I'll let you know at the end.

So far I don't find the pre-recorded video lectures that great. I feel like all you really need is this book (which is great): https://www.amazon.ca/Value-Investing-Graham-Buffett-Beyond/dp/0470116730/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=value+investing+greenwald&qid=1680893407&sr=8-1

Luckily I already had it since it is not technically required for the course.

Edited by Spooky

• 3 months later...

So after completing this course I don't think that I would recommend it. Maybe it was just me and my learning style but I didn't find the video lectures to be very helpful. The textbook I referenced above was much better. There is a lot of good material provided in the course (lots of good papers by Michael Mauboussin especially) but the amount of extra material was much too extensive to read and digest properly in the short time frames provided if you are juggling work and other life commitments so it didn't feel like the course was very well designed / focused. I've re-organized the materials and have had them printed and bound to read through them and learn the way I prefer. You do get access to two teaching assistants / recent graduates from the Columbia MBA value investing program which was interesting. Also, there were what felt like hundreds of people taking this course so if you are looking for an edge over the crowd the course is probably just table stakes.

I did the in-person version of this course several years ago when Bruce Greenwald was still teaching it.  It was a week long and covered all the material he does in his semester long course for MBAs.  I liked it.  These types of things are very expensive and it's difficult to tell whether they are worth the money, but I've done a few of them at Columbia, HBS, NYU for continuing education stuff and to bring a few people on my team up to speed on specific subjects.  For me it's better to dedicate a few days to take the course seriously rather than peruse it at my leisure.  Going through the exercises during and between lectures and then getting interrogated by Bruce crystalized the principles in place better than reading his books did for me.  It was also really helpful to meet ~100 value-oriented investors in my cohort for networking etc. 

7 minutes ago, HubbadaPow said:

I did the in-person version of this course several years ago when Bruce Greenwald was still teaching it.  It was a week long and covered all the material he does in his semester long course for MBAs.  I liked it.  These types of things are very expensive and it's difficult to tell whether they are worth the money, but I've done a few of them at Columbia, HBS, NYU for continuing education stuff and to bring a few people on my team up to speed on specific subjects.  For me it's better to dedicate a few days to take the course seriously rather than peruse it at my leisure.  Going through the exercises during and between lectures and then getting interrogated by Bruce crystalized the principles in place better than reading his books did for me.  It was also really helpful to meet ~100 value-oriented investors in my cohort for networking etc. 

FTW.

If Buffett had never taken Grahams course at Columbia he’d still be a stock broker in Omaha.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:47 AM, HubbadaPow said:

I think live lectures would be more engaging. Also heard great things about Bruce (his books are also really good, the value investing one and competition demystified).

On 7/31/2023 at 8:47 AM, HubbadaPow said:

I've taken a bunch of these (including for MBA and after).  By FAR the best and most effective part of them is not the teaching per se but the discussion and interaction. More learning comes from the other students and the prof reacting than anything you can read or watch.  

It's kind of like this board.  Regardless of your view on a stock (or issue) you will learn more about it, the industry, your thesis and you will ultimately  understand it better by discussing and disagreeing than anything you can watch or read on your own.