Charlie Munger in Conversation with Todd Combs | Singleton Prize for CEO Excellence

ValueMaven

Thanks @ValueMaven for posting.

Really liked the following quotes.

#1 is an axiom that can eliminate a lot of unnecessary thought patterns that people sometimes end up pursuing. 

• #1. "It's the nature of things that a bunch of democratically-elected politicians will eventually print too much money."
  • #2. "Nobody thinks it's illegal for a bunch of sovereign nations to have a cartel in producing their own oil, and every reason it can't happen is that, 'Oh, they're a bunch of dumb this and dumb that.' But it could happen, and you could argue if solar would be a good business."
  • #3. "The other thing that's similar is that there are only, what three or four players making the fertilizer.  And that's an interesting thing to watch, and I don't know how it's going to play out."
  • #4. "Obviously, nobody knows, but there are going to be some sort of cartel-like things done by governments, and nobody will do anything about those.  Somebody will make money by predicting that stuff."
  • #5. Todd: "The weak link is always the cartel breakdown." Charlie: "Yes, of course."
  • #6. Todd: "So, we have $10 trillion in market cap amongst 5 phenomenal businesses that really don't require any capital whatsoever."
  • #7. "What are the changes of a really major calamity? I don't know about you, but certainly it's at least 10%."

I'm curious what he meant by "it could happen" in #2-4 above.  Will start the discussion in one of the Energy threads. 

23 minutes ago, ValueMaven said:

Disagree with #6 ... R&D is a real expense and requires capital.  

With regards to point #3 - Berkshire would be a great home for CF Industries!

I believe he was specifically commenting on Potash.

2 hours ago, ValueMaven said:

Disagree with #6 ... R&D is a real expense and requires capital.  

I think he meant businesses like AAPL, MSFT, GOOGL, META, and TCEHY, where R&D is already accounted for in operating expenses, don't have to make additional capital investments out of retained earnings, resulting in a lot of FCF.  Not only do they not have to invest additional capital from earnings, R&D that is already part of operating expenses, ends up helping grow the FCF.  

Edited by LearningMachine

• 2 weeks later...