Berkshire 2023 Meeting Side Events, Talks, Meetups, Dinners

Saluki

I'm going again to Woodstock for Capitalists this year.  It will be my second year.  I was pleased with the number of meetups and side events in Omaha compared with how many there are in Toronto for the Fairfax AGM.  Although to be fair, my better half loved visiting Toronto both times and could not be convinced to come to Omaha even once.  Last year I could've done a better job of planning things out beforehand, and I found out about a few things from word of mouth by talking to people there.  Rather than leave it to chance, if you know of any meetups, brunches, annual meetings, talks, presentations etc, that are going on in Omaha that weekend, please comment below and we can have them all in one place for reference.  Cheers!  

Wife and I will be heading back this year for our second trip as well.  Met a lot of great folks while there last year.  There was a brewery behind the Hampton where we stayed that seemed to have some good meetups/conversations going.  Love the trip and being amongst other BRK folks.

• 3 weeks later...

here's some other stuff saluki

https://www.good-investing.net/event/berkshire-hathaway-annual-shareholders-meeting-2023/

What can I do besides the Berkshire AGM 2023 in Omaha?

There are plenty of exciting events you could join in Omaha. Many are free. Here we share a great selection of them:

Which other investing events can I join?

Various investor events will happen in the week of the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting 2023. Here are some examples of events you can RSVP to:

The Good Investing Events

From Wednesday to Monday, we organize many community events with our community Good Investing Plus in Omaha.

If you are an ambitious, passionate, and kind investor looking for an investing community to enjoy Omaha and network with global investors, please

Good Investing Emerging Managers Meeting

On Friday, 05 May, we invite all (soon-to-be) Emerging Managers to the Good Investing Emerging Managers Networking Meeting 2023. The casual event takes place from 3 PM to 6 PM. If you are a (soon-to-be) Emerging Fund Manager, please register here and learn more about the event in this video:

Gabelli Value Investing Conference

On Friday, 05 May, Gabelli invites you to the Gabelli Omaha conference. The conference takes place from 9 AM to noon. Learn more here and in this video:

Willow Oak After Berkshire Meeting

On Saturday, 06 May, Willow Oak Asset Management hosts an event for Emerging Managers after the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting. The After Berkshire Meeting starts at 5:30 PM. Learn more here and in this video:

Markel Omaha Brunch

On Sunday, from 10 AM to 12 AM, the Markel Omaha Brunch 2023 will happen. It is highly worth visiting it. Learn more here and in this video:

Other interesting investing events

There are also other exciting investing events:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread and the information included so far.

I have a question about obtaining meeting credentials when outside the USA and also away from our home address overseas.

We're having an extended stay with relatives in Mexico until late April then we'll start a two week US roadtrip to Omaha to attend our first Annual Meeting then fly back to our home country.

I just went to our broker's online proxy materials and chose the option to attend the meeting and vote in person, which gave us a one page PDF called 'Legal Proxy' stating our joint names and our residential address and the number and class of shares as of the record date that we can vote at the meeting. I presume this is not our meeting credential, as that sounds like a different item, given that each shareholder can obtain up to 4 credentials.

I also generated a brokerage statement that we can print out and present along with our proof of ID as stated with the Legal Proxy.

Will we need to queue up on the Friday to obtain our meeting credentials and lanyards (just 2 needed for the two joint shareholders), is there another way to obtain them, or should we apply to have them mailed directly to us hoping that they'll send them to us in Mexico, rather than our home address, and that they'll actually get here via the Mexican postal service and in good time?

Any advice from other foreign attendees would be appreciated. Just want to avoid unnecessary delays or complications for us and the team from Berkshire.

Thanks in advance

On 4/3/2023 at 1:17 AM, Dynamic said:

Thanks for this thread and the information included so far.

I have a question about obtaining meeting credentials when outside the USA and also away from our home address overseas.

We're having an extended stay with relatives in Mexico until late April then we'll start a two week US roadtrip to Omaha to attend our first Annual Meeting then fly back to our home country.

I just went to our broker's online proxy materials and chose the option to attend the meeting and vote in person, which gave us a one page PDF called 'Legal Proxy' stating our joint names and our residential address and the number and class of shares as of the record date that we can vote at the meeting. I presume this is not our meeting credential, as that sounds like a different item, given that each shareholder can obtain up to 4 credentials.

I also generated a brokerage statement that we can print out and present along with our proof of ID as stated with the Legal Proxy.

Will we need to queue up on the Friday to obtain our meeting credentials and lanyards (just 2 needed for the two joint shareholders), is there another way to obtain them, or should we apply to have them mailed directly to us hoping that they'll send them to us in Mexico, rather than our home address, and that they'll actually get here via the Mexican postal service and in good time?

Any advice from other foreign attendees would be appreciated. Just want to avoid unnecessary delays or complications for us and the team from Berkshire.

Thanks in advance

Being a fellow UK based shareholder who last attended in 2019, I found the simplest process was simply to collect the credentials in person the Friday preceding the meeting from the "Will Call" area. You just show up with a copy of your borkerage statement ( electronic works too) and an ID. There was a bit of a line initially of folks eager to do this first but this quickly cleared and it was pretty easy and quick to walk in, collect the credentials and leave. I tried getting the credentials via my UK broker but they were not structured or able to get this done and in the end, picking them up in person was the simplest process. Obviously this only works if you can do this the day before in the afternoon

Thanks, @lemsip. That's reassuring as we were concerned the queues could be enormous. We're arriving on Thursday and we're heading for that area of Omaha on Friday anyway for much of the day.

We're thinking we'll try to hit the NFM picnic on Saturday, probably via the shuttle bus, assuming we're OK to leave our hire car at the arena parking.

Thanks again.

Here are a couple more to consider:

Willow Oak Asset Management After Meeting Event

Gabelli Funds Value Investing Conference

Vitaly's breakfast seems to be a smaller group. Anyone know if there's an expectation that you're connected in some way to IMA or a prospective investor/allocator to attend? I'm just a regular dude on his email list. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last year there was a massive hangout in the Hilton ground floor (could possibly have been the Marriot) across the street right after the Berkshire meeting. I do not believe it was the dutch speakers but it was absolutely packed. Any idea what that is? 

Edited by AlwaysDay1