Intellectual humility assessment

Jurgis

Somewhat interesting questionnaire:

http://www.shanesnow.com/take-the-intellectual-humility-assessment

It can suffer from "garbage in, garbage out". Sometimes self-evaluation is hard even if you're honest. Some questions are abstract, which makes it hard to answer since I'd behave differently depending on context.

It asks you for email, just use a one-time burner email if concerned.

^On a personal level, I guess one could potentially go for the ultimate nirvana but, for an investment Board such as this one, basic respect and a minimum awareness that the ego may get in the way are probably sufficient.

I am presently reading Gore Vidal's Lincoln and like in the Team of Rivals, his story seems to reveal that his biggest strength was his humble ability to accept he was wrong, even as a leader.

I am presently reading Gore Vidal's Lincoln and like in the Team of Rivals, his story seems to reveal that his biggest strength was his humble ability to accept he was wrong, even as a leader.

Right. But like your poster shows, it's not that simple. You can't just accept that you are wrong anytime someone says you are wrong. There has to be clarity of "yes, I am wrong" vs. "you say that I'm wrong and give these arguments, but there are other arguments that I'm right and I'm gonna follow these". Life is not a math problem and arguments are not ironclad. I am pretty sure there were (are?) a lot of people claiming Lincoln made numerous mistakes. And he probably accepted that he was wrong on some things, but probably did not accept that he was wrong on others. Heck, looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln pretty everyone seems to have thought him wrong in one way or the other. ;)