Preston Pysh [TIP- The investors Podcast] Genius or Salesman

nickenumbers

All,

I am sure many people follow and listen to The Investors Podcast [TIP], and it is hosted by Preston Pysh and Stig B.

I really value the work that they do and the time that they invest in the content that they create.

There is a BUT coming,..  But, Preston does a couple of things that get under my skin and I wanted to get your guys take on it.

Preston does the following-

-Every guest that comes on his show is the best, the greatest and the most exciting in the would.  [How can the last 10 guests or books be the most exciting the the world.]  It reminds me of a puppy that pees all over a guest's shoes.

-Bitcoin and blockchain.  He loves it.  I get it.  We all don't have to agree, but you make your case, I make my case and lets agree, disagree, or move on.  When ever anyone brings up blockchain, or even if they don't bring it up, Preston is like a young pup constantly going back to his favorite toy blockchain/Bitcoin, and re-making his case again.

-Things that are new-  he has [and we all do], an excitement around things that are new, and therefore better.  And the balance of his excitement is tipped too far to the extreme for me.  If it is new, he probably loves it.  Does Charlie Munger love things that are new??

Having said that, Preston's accounting, finance and math is spot on.  His analysis can be insightful.  And his is certainly a successful and impressive person. 

Are these observations just me and do they get in the way of your listening to the show?  What do you guys think?

What do you think Stig is thinking?

Haha - dude, just because someone has a podcast doesn’t mean that they are impressive, successful, etc. etc. ... that’d be a pretty one-dimensional way of measuring the worth of a man.

To your core question - it’s a business! (And as such it’s as much about marketing the business to get attention as it is about content - otherwise those listeners can’t be monetized for much.)

Definitely not a genius.  He's a good talker (as you might expect in a podcast host).  He likes to talk about macro/bearish always wrong/unknowable stuff.  But he's pretty entertaining and I like the podcast. I would, however, probably place it behind Invest like the best, Ritholz's MIB, Meb Faber's cast, and Behind the markets with J. Schwartz (now that he's got Wes Gray co-hosting a bunch and bringing in some academics); and maybe one or two more.

I still listen to most of their episodes, they do pretty good book summaries. In terms of investment ideas I would recommend to look elsewhere although I think they give solid advice most of the time. Do they outperform the market? Maybe not.

Definitely not a genius.  He's a good talker (as you might expect in a podcast host).  He likes to talk about macro/bearish always wrong/unknowable stuff.  But he's pretty entertaining and I like the podcast. I would, however, probably place it behind Invest like the best, Ritholz's MIB, Meb Faber's cast, and Behind the markets with J. Schwartz (now that he's got Wes Gray co-hosting a bunch and bringing in some academics); and maybe one or two more.

Thank you for the Podcast alternatives that you prefer.  I found them all!

Great, hope you enjoy them!  I would say Patrick O-shag-hennesy is the best interviewer and Ritholtz gets the best guests.  I also like the FT Alphachat podcast sometimes and a new one called Animal Spirits with two RIA bloggers.  They are younger guys so you might enjoy them if you are also younger.  If you want another one that goes more into the weeds on ad-hoc stock selection, you might check out the Value Investing Podcast by the manual of ideas guys.  I don't listen to this one as much anymore because they started going longer between new episodes and the interviews are old.  The Intelligent Investing Podcast has some good episodes too for that purpose and is produced/hosted by one of the posters on this site.