Return of the highly confident investor

Hoodlum

Investors are starting to get cocky again and at a time of increased risk.  The last statistic is the most telling.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investment-ideas/features/investing-trends/return-of-the-highly-confident-investor/article1386592/

Today, with some of his equity and real estate investments yielding returns of between 10 and 15 per cent, Mr. Bartolini is feeling a renewed sense of confidence in the markets. Given his mix of assets - stocks, real estate and corporate bonds - he expects long-term returns of at least 8 per cent.

His optimistic outlook is echoed by the results of an online survey conducted last month by Toronto research firm Gandalf Group, which found investors are expecting an annual return on their investments of 7.5 per cent over the next 12 months and 7.9 per cent over the long term.

Online investors were even more optimistic, expecting 11.1 per cent in the next 12 months and 9.7 per cent annually over the long term.

Brad Compton, a Toronto mortgage agent, counts himself among these confident online investors. "For my own portfolio, I'm shooting for 10 to 12 per cent. If I'm lucky, even higher," he says.

The same survey found 73 per cent of investors believe they will make back what they lost in their stock, mutual fund and bond investments during the recession. And 85 per cent said they are taking an aggressive approach to recouping their losses.