What's your current portfolio?

Graham Osborn

Can't answer your question, wondering the same. One would think it should have some impact though.

While this is irrelevant, in the past this stock has at one time paid out half its share price (or more) in a special dividend and shortly after paid out 1/3 of its share price as a special dividend. Great company with the very best quality holdings.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Ross! I will look into it carefully.

3) I actually have a personal large position in Berkshire! The reported portfolio is from our more actively managed IB account. There is a large slug of BRK.B stock sitting with a pile of index funds in a Vanguard account. With that said, I am not very excited about Berkshire's investment into Apple. 

Ok. I like Apple, therefore I am not really worried about this new and very large investment. Of course I understand anyone has his/her own view about Apple!

4) The long and short of TJX's success is because they can offer something the internet cannot - a treasure hunt. My wife goes to TJ Maxx to find xyz and comes out with a nice sweatshirt and new shoes.  I look at internet retail's impact on brick and mortar like this: brick and mortar stores that sell items people specifically seek out are easily replaced by internet retail. For example, if I want to buy a Vitamix blender, Ralph Lauren Polo Shirt, Samsung TV, or Ping driver I could drive to Bed Bath and Beyond, Macy's, Best Buy and Dicks Sporting Goods respectively or I could type it into a browser and purchase online. With retail models like TJX, IKEA, and Costco, you do not have this problem.   

Mmm... I am still skeptical... If consumers want a treasure hunt, why cannot Amazon and/or Alibaba give them such an experience?

Let's put it this way:

1) If TJX, IKEA, and Costco could go on giving their customers something they cannot find at Amazon and/or Alibaba, TJX, IKEA, and Costco will be fine. Also Amazon and Alibaba will be fine and will keep growing.

2) If TJX, IKEA, and Costco could NOT go on giving their customers something they cannot find at Amazon and/or Alibaba, TJX, IKEA, and Costco will start to shrink. Instead Amazon and Alibaba will be fine and will keep growing.

Of course TJX's track record till now seems to prove that 1) is more likely than 2). But will it continue to be so in the future? I don't know the answer, and that's why I prefer to hold those cos which will be fine in both cases.

Cheers,

Gio

I'm new here but I'll pitch in.

giofranchi, before committing myself to this forum, I went back many threads/posts.

I appreciated your contribution.

Perhaps similar to you, English is not my first language and, during my "productive" life, I invested internally generated funds from my incorporated business. I'm pretty much retired now.

For reasons that don't belong to this specific thread, I have essentially no long positions now. But I keep looking.

Concerning LKQ, I analyzed this some time ago. I will get my file out, update it and plan to provide constructive comments within 1-3 days.

I'm new here but I'll pitch in.

giofranchi, before committing myself to this forum, I went back many threads/posts.

I appreciated your contribution.

Perhaps similar to you, English is not my first language and, during my "productive" life, I invested internally generated funds from my incorporated business. I'm pretty much retired now.

For reasons that don't belong to this specific thread, I have essentially no long positions now. But I keep looking.

Concerning LKQ, I analyzed this some time ago. I will get my file out, update it and plan to provide constructive comments within 1-3 days.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Gio

• 1 year later...