What would have to happen for you to put 100% of your portfolio into 1 position?

jawn619

If I had the opportunity to buy a private business that I like a lot, I would gladly sell my whole stock portfolio. Stock portfolio that I would start rebuilding again with a much larger free cash flow than the one I have at my disposal today.

Cheers,

Gio

I would put 100% of my portfolio in my own business to invest for growth.  That's the only situation I can imagine, putting your wealth into something you control.

This isn't that crazy of a question.  Most Americans have 100% of their wealth and more in their house.  Or a combination of their house and some cars.

If I had put 100% into one position I'd either have been fabulously wealthy, dirt poor, or earned around market returns, depending on what that one position was.  For instance I first bought NFLX at $11, had I put everything into it, sold my house and put everything into it, then borrowed money to put even more into it, and held until today I would have done very well.

It depends how much of your net worth is in stocks.  As an example if 20 percent of my net worth is in the market I would put 100 percent in a stock all factors considering. The other 80 percent which includes real estate and other alternatives would serve as a buffer. If all my net worth is in the market or 80 percent or so I would never put 100 percent in a stock.

I guess it boils down to margin of safety. Find a position where it's heads I really win a lot and tails I can liquidate the company and get my money back and then some and I could see going all in. As just a common shareholder with someone else at the helm of the company though, it's a lot tougher. A 100% investment in a company's debt might be an interesting proposition however if it was cheap enough.

But just answering the posed question: nothing has yet happened that would put me 100% into 1 position, including the long-while BRK opportunity. Only something like the short-lived example would.

The long-lived exception: if wealth was such that risk or return didn't matter, could go 100% BRK/SV index fund or inflation-adjusted annuity/treasuries.

If I found a company I could acquire whole and run myself (or with mgmt I like) I'd have no problem doing that. I always believed that size of allocation was a very important factor in investing that's severely underrated.

I can't name 1 particular company but I wouldn't have a problem if someone came to me and with some of the Dow components at discounts and told me I'd have to keep all my money in one of them forever. I wouldn't be mad having my entire networth in either Walmart, ExxonMobil, Apple, Coke, Proctor and Gamble, or American Express.

I can understand why a trader wouldn't do that but as a businessman I'd have no qualms doing it if it was a business I could acquire and run and had some knowledge of it's industry or was passionate enough to learn.