Happiness = Reality - Expectations

Liberty

I read this article earlier today, and I happen to be reading Getty's How to Be Rich.  Toward's the end, he says this about the generation at the time:

The post-World War One period was said to have produced a confused, insecure and disillusioned Lost Generation.  There is, tragically enough, ample evidence to indicate that the post-World War Two era produced a generation which has, in large part, lost its sense of perspective and purpose.  It is a generation whose members are prone to substitute flimsy dollars-and-cents price tags for scales of lasting values and who meekly surrender their individuality and even their integrity as human beings.  A glaringly obvious manifestation of this can be found in the social phenomenon of status seeking, which has become so widespread and prevalent that it looms as one of the principle motivating forces behind our contemporary social behavior patterns.

I read this article earlier today, and I happen to be reading Getty's How to Be Rich.  Toward's the end, he says this about the generation at the time:

The post-World War One period was said to have produced a confused, insecure and disillusioned Lost Generation.  There is, tragically enough, ample evidence to indicate that the post-World War Two era produced a generation which has, in large part, lost its sense of perspective and purpose.  It is a generation whose members are prone to substitute flimsy dollars-and-cents price tags for scales of lasting values and who meekly surrender their individuality and even their integrity as human beings.  A glaringly obvious manifestation of this can be found in the social phenomenon of status seeking, which has become so widespread and prevalent that it looms as one of the principle motivating forces behind our contemporary social behavior patterns.

Every generation says this about its teenagers. But that's a different point from what the article is making. It's not a "get off my lawn" statement to say that those who came of age during the great post-war boom had it easier on average, and lived through more ebulient times than those who did during the great depression and WWII. How that affects the expectations of those who come after is the question.

But of course every generation forgets what it's like to be a teenager and complains about kids. That'll never change :D